Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Power BI Desktop Locks when working with a Thin report and model file

Hi folks, I hope you are well. 

I have been working within desktop on thin reports - I create a model and then publish to a workspace and then connect to the Power data set to build a visulisation of the model - and I have noticed if I have the two PBIX files open, that the thin report will lock and then I lose my work. 

At first I thought it was due to the model refreshing on scheduled refresh, but when I turned this off it still happened. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Have you got any tips for creating a better pipeline for building and amending the model (writing more dax, adding groups or flags as needed) whilst working on building reports. 

I am in a team of 1, so I have to find the data, ETL and build the model, then work with customers to build the reports they require.

Any advice hints and tips would be most welcome. 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @DemoFour ,

What version of PBI Desktop are you on? There was an error during the last months that caused this freezes, this is resolved in the March update, check the tread below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-freezes-10-times-a-day/idc-p/2431667#M77816

I experienced this and with the March relaease everything is working properly, but there are users saying they still are facing the issue.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Glad to hear.

Don't forget to accept the correct ansser to help others.

Regards

Miguel Félix

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This issue has been resolved as per the March update to fix the bug. 

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @DemoFour ,

What version of PBI Desktop are you on? There was an error during the last months that caused this freezes, this is resolved in the March update, check the tread below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-freezes-10-times-a-day/idc-p/2431667#M77816

I experienced this and with the March relaease everything is working properly, but there are users saying they still are facing the issue.

Regards

Miguel Félix

DemoFour
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @MFelix 

I update PBI every month when I get the prompt to do so in the bottom right hand corner. 

I got the same messages as the post you linked, but also that it was showing multiple M queries running. 

It seams to have stopped now, I got the latest update this week. 

Hopefully this will now have been fixed. 

Thank you for your reply. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.