Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DougBate
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop Link to Active Directory

Very much a Noob when it comes to this but I'm looking for some assistance if anyone can help please?:

We report on Active Directory (historically using OldCmp.exe) which gives us just the right ammount of data we need.

Basically we need Power BI Desktop to query the Computer account, to provide

Computer Name,

O/S,

Service Pack level,

machine Type,

Computer account Password age

I can find all but the Computer account Password age withing the multitude of tables available to me in Active Directory.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance

Doug

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@DougBate,

You can connect to Active Directory from Power  BI Desktop following the instructions in this blog, load user table and computer table into Desktop.

In addition, here is similar thread about how get AD attributes in Power BI for your reference.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@DougBate,

You can connect to Active Directory from Power  BI Desktop following the instructions in this blog, load user table and computer table into Desktop.

In addition, here is similar thread about how get AD attributes in Power BI for your reference.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

this doesnt work for me straight away. 

You add in your Domain (Which I found in Azure Active Directory Primary Domain (the blog doesnt go into any detail on where to find your domain name) 

And I get Unable to connect

Details: "Active Directory: The active directory domain 'compname.onmicrosoft.com' couldn't be found."

However when I removed .onmicrosoft.com it still didnt work. the question is does this connector work. if it does, what am I doing wrong? If it doesnt, why is it in the connections list?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-caliao-msft i am using AD as source in power bi.  One of the column ObjectGUID is in the form of Binary.  i need to link that to another GUID column in database which is uniqueidentifier format.  How do i convert the Binary format to this uniqueidentifier?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft can u help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors