Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mist
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop Licensing

The Power BI Desktop's license terms when you install the 'free' version state "You may install and use one copy of the software on your premises."

If I want more than one installed, what license do I need? Will Office 365 cover this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

As far as I know, the Power BI desktop is free. You need to care about the license when using the Power BI Service, see more details by clicking Use Power BI for free or buy Power BI Pro.

Ah, I get it now. There is no license for Power BI Desktop. It is part of Power BI and you can get it free as long as you comply with the T&Cs for Power BI (free).

Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

Office 365 is no longer required, you can subscribe to Power BI on it's own.  

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Wow, you actually read the T's and C's? There's a South Park joke in there somewhere. I'm guessing that second copy of Desktop would be installed and used by your co-worker...ahem... I'm not sure you will run afoul of the Power BI Desktop Install Police any time soon. 🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.