Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Namkce
Advocate III
Advocate III

Power BI Desktop - Import Data - Navigator Graphic User interface (GUI) Icons meanings

Hello, I have some questions about the visual icons that are shown in the Navigator for Power BI Desktop application. 

I'm a little confused because I'm importing data from an Excel file that contains only one worksheet (and no structured tables), yet I'm given 2 options for importing, and the icons are different between the two. 

I can't really determine what's different, other than that the visual icons are slightly different and the new option has a 1 appended to the name (Query115, Query1151).  See screenshots below:

What do these icons mean for Query115 and Query1151?What do these icons mean for Query115 and Query1151?This is the source worksheet, as you can see, only one sheet.  No hidden sheets, and no structured table.This is the source worksheet, as you can see, only one sheet. No hidden sheets, and no structured table.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between the two options? 

Secondly, where I can also see the list of various visual icons and their meanings?  I couldn't find anything that could explain it for me. 

I'm operating under the assumption that Query115 is the worksheet, and Query1151 must be some kind of auto-derived/wizard worksheet without empty rows or something?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @v-yulgu-msft,

Thank you for your response.  I appologize for the long delay.  The data in that file is sensative so I could not share it out, and when I tried copying small snapshot of the data to a new excel file, I could not reproduce what I was experiencing.  

However, I thought more and more, and I think I figured out what it was...  (hint, it was Named Ranges)

Apparently my Excel file (which was sent to me) had a "Named Range", which I discovered when exploring the Formula ribbon bar, and clicking on Name Manager.  Then I saw there was defined name of "Query115" that referenced the range of cells that contained data.  I think when I imported the file into Power BI, it was able to identify this named range as an option for importing, which is why I was confused.  There's no easy/quick way to tell if you have a named range somewhere in your spreadsheets unless you check the Name Manager.  

Name Manager in ExcelName Manager in ExcelSo I think we both learned something new!  You can go ahead and close/resolve this issue as solved.  

Sincerely,

Robert Eckman

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Namkce,

I was not able to reproduce this problem on my side. Please copy the worksheet "Query115" to a new Excel file and re-load it to desktop to see if problem persists. Besides, you could update your desktop version to the latest one for a test.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey @v-yulgu-msft,

Thank you for your response.  I appologize for the long delay.  The data in that file is sensative so I could not share it out, and when I tried copying small snapshot of the data to a new excel file, I could not reproduce what I was experiencing.  

However, I thought more and more, and I think I figured out what it was...  (hint, it was Named Ranges)

Apparently my Excel file (which was sent to me) had a "Named Range", which I discovered when exploring the Formula ribbon bar, and clicking on Name Manager.  Then I saw there was defined name of "Query115" that referenced the range of cells that contained data.  I think when I imported the file into Power BI, it was able to identify this named range as an option for importing, which is why I was confused.  There's no easy/quick way to tell if you have a named range somewhere in your spreadsheets unless you check the Name Manager.  

Name Manager in ExcelName Manager in ExcelSo I think we both learned something new!  You can go ahead and close/resolve this issue as solved.  

Sincerely,

Robert Eckman

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.