Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jwilli14

Power BI Desktop - Get Data - Access Denied

Power BI desktop was working fine;  I could get data from excel,  sqlserver, and oracle and generate visuals.

Now whenever I try Get Data,  I get Access Denied?????  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I do not have local admin rights to my computer based on company policy;  I assume you do not either.

But local desktop installed Avecto on my machine which gives me elevated priviledges.  That has solved my problem.

You need to elevate your priviledges.   Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jwilli14

Thanks for the reply.   But this is only for editing prior connections.  I cannot get data from an excel spreadsheet on my c drive.  Where do you set the credential for that?

Hi

I have the exast same issue but when accesing any kind of source (excel or SQL Server). I've removed the credentials but it's the same. After selecting the name of the SQL Server, it gives access denied.

If I uninstall and install the application again, it works for a time, but the next I have the same issue. After reinstalling I create a link to some tables, and today when I try to modify the queries or to reload the data, if fails with the Access Denied error. It looks similar to pressing the Deny button when the privilage are elevated. Looks like the application rememberes a denial ¿?.

Regards

I do not have local admin rights to my computer based on company policy;  I assume you do not either.

But local desktop installed Avecto on my machine which gives me elevated priviledges.  That has solved my problem.

You need to elevate your priviledges.   Good luck!

Hello @Jw 

Can you help,

A user in our company has been using Power Bi without any issues until they changed their user password and now they are not able to access some of the folders / lists they have already created a connection to, they receive the message access denied.

We are not sure what Avecto is and whether they need to install it or not

Any suggestions would help to resolve this issue, I have tried to connect to the same data and I do not have any issues.

Thank you

Claire

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @jwilli14

Did you change your user account (password) recently?

Perhaps you could check your datasource credential setting. There are available in the desktop. Here :

Datasource.png

after that, you should see all your data connection and modifiy the credential if needed :

Param.pngSQL.pngUser.png

Hope it help you

Sébastien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.