Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RichardL
Employee
Employee

Power BI Desktop Format Pane No Longer Works

I imported my own custom visual into Power BI desktop.  When I clicked on the "Format" button in the "VISUALIZATION" pane, the format pane only lists the default settings (Background, Lock aspect, Border, Title, and General) and not the additional settings that I defined in capabilities.json and settings.ts.  This used to work perfectly in the past.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the error in my own capabilities.json file while messing around with the provided sample capabilities.json file.  Now the format pane shows up as expected 🙂  Thanks.

FormatPane.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please make sure you clicked the visuals before you checking the format option.

If you clicked on the blank page and your contol is not on the visual then you will get the default settings only.

Thanks

Raj

Yes, I always click on the visuals before clicking the format option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you post the snapshot of your page - Format menu while the visual is selected.

Thanks

Raj

Since my page contains highly sensitive data, I can only show a small portion of it near the Format menu:

FormatPane.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This could be the issue with the custom visual. Have you ever used this custom visual in other reports with succcess in getting format menu?

Thanks
Raj

You will be able to repro the issue above by creating a new blank custom visual on your side and see if you can switch over to the Format pane.

Well, I fixed the errors in the default settings.ts and capabilities.json sample files provided by PBI in order to prevent PBI desktop from crashing.  It's very sad to see that the provided files had errors in them 😞  No one did code review on these two files before they were released to the public?

I found the error in my own capabilities.json file while messing around with the provided sample capabilities.json file.  Now the format pane shows up as expected 🙂  Thanks.

FormatPane.png

No, I have never been able to get the format menu with this custom visual.

I just did another test by creating a new custom visual via the command line:  pbiviz new TestVisual

I then packaged it via the command line "pbiviz package" without making any change to any of the existing sample source files.

I imported the custom visual into Power BI desktop.  When I clicked on the Format button, I got this error message:

CustomVisual02.png

S Error Message:
Cannot read property 'color' of undefined

Error Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

Stack Trace:
TypeError: Cannot read property 'color' of undefined
    at ColorPickerController.$onInit (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/powerbidesktopcommon.js:18123:105)
    at ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:9980:34
    at forEach (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:439:18)
    at nodeLinkFn (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:9969:9)
    at ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:10361:13
    at processQueue (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:17183:37)
    at ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:17231:27
    at Scope.$digest (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:18366:15)
    at ChildScope.$apply (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:18663:24)
    at HTMLElement.<anonymous> (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/minerva/scripts/angular.js:27491:23)

Stack Trace Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WebDialogs.WebDialog.<>n__FabricatedMethod8(IWindowHandle )
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Model Default Mode:
Import

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.