Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abbas_uddin
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Desktop - Data Import

Dear Experts,

i would like your suggestions about how or where can power bi desktop be implented in order not to have data residing locally. if not atleast what is the security for power bi desktop import data. Below is the scenario explained:

Our organization is a holding entity managing different companies under us (Using SAP BW). Our management does not want power bi desktop data to reside on user systems (using import data method) instead they want a centralized system where if data is imported it should be either residing on the server or somewhere not with the end point. So what are your suggestions about it,

should we use VDI for users?

or should we use a dedicated server for power bi developers? ( They login, develop and publish)

or should we use SQL as a service to connect to SAP BW and then write sql queries and then use Direct Query method?

please let me know your ideas.

The above scenario is for developing the reports, power bi cloud is the next step we will do for report distribution.

i Hope above is clear. let me know for further explaination

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@abbas_uddin - I would suggest this usage model:

Greg_Deckler_0-1597898565352.png

You could also avoid import and use DirectQuery

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@abbas_uddin , You can a central Power bi Machine/server and you develop the model and publish it. Then developers can use the Power Bi dataset to develop visuals. And later that can be merged using copy paste across files as of now.

Other options to explore are Power bi embedded and Azure embedded power bi.

@amitchandaklets say we use a power bi machine server. so we manage around 20 companeis and each company should have a user which manages their data and publish the dataset to cloud for users to develop / access the report?. The report will be developed using power bi service? but not all features are there in cloud compared to desktop version. how can we overcome this?

The reqeuirement is dataset should not reside at endpoint meaning pbix file contains dataset. on the other hand if we use live query we cant perform additional transformation and calculations which is a must. We use SAP BW as a data source.

@abbas_uddin - I believe your choices are a composite data model where the main data is DirectQuery or to wait until Live queries have similar capabilities. If I am reading the roadmap correctly, the ability to do composite models or something like it are coming to Live queries to Power BI datasets.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Decklersomewhat it is like that. However we might need to create a semantic data layer between SAP BW and Power BI so users can have direct query without data downloaded. The only challenge will be making the data aggregated according to the requirements from each user or departments.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.