Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

B_Mpunga
Regular Visitor

Power BI Desktop Client not identifying (or picking up) Teradata Decimal datatype

Good day,

I am using Power BI Version: 2.57.5068.501 64-bit (April/2018), connected to Teradata 16.10.0.03 using the ODBC data connector. The challenge I am experiencing is that when I import data, Power BI does not recognise the Teradata Decimal data type e.g. I have a data field in Teradata, Amount [DECIMAL(15,2)] - data value, example, 24,827,463.71 however when I import the data to Power BI it is correctly displayed as data type Decimal but the data value is 2482746371.00.

How can I resolve this issue?

Your assistance will come much appreciated.

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @B_Mpunga,

I'd like to suggest you to use teradata connector to try again, I'm not so sure if this issue is related to odbc driver.

2.PNG

In addition, you can also check your region setting to customize 'thousand separator' and 'decimal separator'.

3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@v-shex-msft, thank you. Changing regional settings sorted the problem.

Thank you. Have a great day further.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @B_Mpunga,

I'd like to suggest you to turn on 'thousand separator' and modify 'decimal place' to re-format your amount.

13.PNG

Do you use similar bit version?(odbc client and Teradata database) If not, I'd recommend you to use same version and try again.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you use similar bit version?(odbc client and Teradata database)

- Yes, 64-bit (Power BI, ODBC Client and Teradata)

I'd like to suggest you to turn on 'thousand separator' and modify 'decimal place' to re-format your amount.

- I tried this, that change would be on the Power BI 'Data View' however if the data is loaded from the 'Query Editor' without the decimals that change cannot be effected on the 'Data View' after loading.

The data type in the Query Editor correctly displays as 'Decimal Number' however the data values are displayed as 'Whole Numbers' i.e. the value 2,234.96 (in Teradata) appears as 223496 (in Power BI - Query Editor) and if I load the dataset, make changes in Power BI Data View - add thousand separator and decimals - it appears as 223 496.00.

I don't know exactly where the problem is.

Hi @B_Mpunga,

I'd like to suggest you to use teradata connector to try again, I'm not so sure if this issue is related to odbc driver.

2.PNG

In addition, you can also check your region setting to customize 'thousand separator' and 'decimal separator'.

3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft, thank you. Changing regional settings sorted the problem.

Thank you. Have a great day further.Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.