Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karlk
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Desktop Authentication Time out ~ 1 Hour

Hi,

If I open a report in Power BI Desktop that connects to a dataset in the Power BI Service I'm able to work with that report without any issues.  However, after about an hour I eventually get the following error:

Cannot load model - authentication failed

karlk_1-1621958114691.png

The following docs seem to suggest why but don't explicitly mention Power BI Desktop

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios#ref... 

Has anyone else experienced this issue, please?

Thanks

Karl

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @karlk ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved by @amitchandak 's suggestion? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.

Hope to hear from you😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hi,

Unfortunately it doesn't.  The issue occurs where the report live connects to a dataset in the Power BI service so there is no Power Query to edit.

Edit:

Actually the problem is more specific than I originally described:

• I don't have any issues when the report live connects to a dataset that's in import mode
  • I do have a time out after roughly 1 hour when the report live connects to dataset that itself live connects to an Azure Analysis Services model

Thanks

Karl

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.