Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

radu92
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Desktop 64 bit crashing at startup, 32 bit crashes with "System out of memory error"

Hi everone, 

I have had this issue for a while now: 

If I install PowerBI Desktop 64 bit, the program gets closed before it even opens, basically the process just gets killed. After researching the problem, the only solution I could find was to install the 32 bit version. 

I did as suggested, have built a report using the 32 bit version, but now every time I open my report, the software crashed after a couple of seconds. Sometimes I get a "System out of memory" error, and sometimes it just closes. 

I'm running windows 8.1 Enterprise, with 8GB of RAM. While Power BI is running, it uses at most 1 GB of RAM, but my total usage does not pass 70%. 

From the event log viewer, I can see the following message: 

Application: PBIDesktop.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException
at System.String.ReplaceInternal(System.String, System.String)
at System.String.Replace(System.String, System.String)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Evaluation.Services.ExceptionLoggingService.TrimLine(System.String)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Evaluation.Services.ExceptionLoggingService.MinimizeStackTrace(System.String)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Evaluation.Services.ExceptionLoggingService.LogUnexpectedException(Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Diagnostics.Telemetry.ITelemetryService, System.Exception, Boolean)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Evaluation.Services.ExceptionLoggingService.LogUnexpectedException(System.Exception, Boolean)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Telemetry.PowerBITelemetryService.LogUnhandledException(System.Exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(System.Exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SafeThread+ExceptionHandler2.TryHandleException(System.Exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.HandleException(System.Exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2+<>c__DisplayClass15.<CreateAction>b__14(System.Object)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2+<>c__DisplayClassa.<CreateWaitCallback>b__9(System.Object)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Any suggestions how I can fix this? 

Of course I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., but nothing has worked so far. 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi team,

I have recently updated my Power BI desktop with June'19 updates. This file is perfectly opening till yesterday. However today when i opened the file, it is throwing "Out of Memory Exception" error and the window is getting closed automatically after 30 secs.

I am facing this issue with only this file as i have tried opening other files and they seems to be working fine.

Can you please suggest what approach should i follow to overcome this issue ?

Thanks

Vaibhav

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @radu92,

We already reported the issue that Power BI desktop 64 bit can't launched on Windows 8.1, 8gb RAM machine before, and got the feedback that the fix will be available on 1/5 (2017).

In your scenario, when you run the Power BI desktop 32bit, please run it as administrator. Also can you launch the desktop from the shortcut, without opening existing report?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Launching the software as an administrator does not help. I can however open it up from the shortcut, without opening a report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I don't know if my workaround can help, but I was facing quite the same issue, but in different way. I use to work on a 64 bits Power BI desktop, and in order to be conformed with my customer needs I had to "downgrade" my reports to works with 32 bits Power Bi desktop version. But I can't just open the report (made in 64 bits) with the 32 bits version. I've got a "OutOfMemory" exception and the program closed.

So, I saved me report as a Power BI template in 64 bits Power BI desktop. With this, no data will be imported in the report. And when I open the template with the 32 bit versions and stop the refresh, I've managed to use to with this version (after saving the template as a report).

So, Perhaps you should try this, after installing the 64 bits Power BI Desktop on a new computer.

Hope it could help anybody.

Sébastien

edejes2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I had same issue while back and non of information I found work to be able to fix the issue. What I did was just restore my windows and after that I re-install PBI then it was working perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion, I even tried installing it on a different computer - still doesn't work.

Wow, That strange. But you are installing from Power BI site, if so the version there is 64bit. you will need to use this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331 where you can donwload the 64bit & 32bit version. its your PC 64 or 32?. Well my last recomendation are run sfc/scannow on your CMD this will fix any corrupt system files if this dont work try to  reinstall  Windows. 

Hope that help!

Regards!

Erich Dejesus

I'm installing it form the official website, and I tried both the 32 and the 64 bit. The 64 bit just crashes at startup. My computer runs 64bit. I tried another computer as well, and the software showed the same behavior. 

Thanks for your suggestion, it didn't work unfortunately. I'm in touch with the Microsoft support team, and really hope to find a solution soon. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.