Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amsrivas
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Dataset name

Hello Folks!!

Is there any way to display Power BI Report Dataset name in the same Power BI Report.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

15 REPLIES 15
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I still don't understand why this would be necessary.

Hi @lbendlin 

This requirement is important as detailed below.

I have paginated report (Power BI Builder Report) that is using Power BI Dataset as a source.

Power BI Report needs to be updated quite frequently (because of chnages in business requirement) and report is managed with suffix as V1 , V2 etc.

And Paginated report need to be referered to most updated version.

Just to get rid of version gap, requirement is to diplay the name of the Dataset name in the report so that people will know Paginated report is in sync with Power BI.

Just to display Power BI Dataset name in Paginated report, i need to add Dataset Name in Power BI existing or new Dataset so that Paginated report will refer that easily.

I dont mind, if you have any other way out to display Datasource name in Paginated report.

My ultimate goal is to display name of the Power BI dataset name in Paginated report which it is refering to.

Hope that clarifies 🙂

Please suggest!!

Thanks

Amit Srivastava 

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do that. But you can connect your report to Power BI REST API and use the API to get report/dataset name by report/dataset id. Custom connector for Power BI REST API is here https://github.com/migueesc123/PowerBIRESTAPI You'll need a gateway configured (with the custom connector installed) to make it working. Use a parameter for report or dataset id (with blank value), then publish the report and update the parameter (in Power BI Service) with actual report or dataset id (depends of what you will decide to use). And surely you'll see new name in the report only after dataset refreshing, not immediately after renaming.

You also can also build an external application that connects to Power BI REST API and saves datase/report name into a database more frequently, then you can use Direct Query to see new name almost immediately.

It will work, but It's up to you if this makes any practical sense.

Hi @avatorl 

Agreed with you that, just to add report name or dataset name, its not great idea to use REST API and other stuffs.

Just to dig in more, is there any way out to display report name or Dataset name with the help of Powershell.

Any idea??

Thanks

Amit Srivatava

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

> is there any way out to display report name or Dataset name with the help of Powershell.

You can use Powershell to run (e.g. by a schedule) a simple script based on Power BI Cmdlets (just a few rows of code to get report or dataset name) and you can save the name obtained by the script into one of your data sources (e.g. database). You also can compare current report/dataset name with previous version of the name (stored in the database) and if it's different you can initiate dataset refreshing. It's not really complicated but, again, does it make sense? Why do you need to display report/dataset name?

P.S. Or you can use Power Automate + REST API. I see no reasonable way to do that without using the API, there are just different ways to call the API (via data connector, PowerShell, Power Automate, etc.)

This requirement is important as detailed below.

I have paginated report (Power BI Builder Report) that is using Power BI Dataset as a source.

Power BI Report needs to be updated quite frequently (because of chnages in business requirement) and report is managed with suffix as V1 , V2 etc.

And Paginated report need to be referered to most updated version.

Just to get rid of version gap, requirement is to diplay the name of the Dataset name in the report so that people will know Paginated report is in sync with Power BI.

Just to display Power BI Dataset name in Paginated report, i need to add Dataset Name in Power BI existing or new Dataset so that Paginated report will refer that easily.

I dont mind, if you have any other way out to display Datasource name in Paginated report.

My ultimate goal is to display name of the Power BI dataset name in Paginated report which it is refering to.

Hope that clarifies 

Please suggest!!

Thanks

Amit Srivastava 

That is not how you do version control. Use Github or similar to properly implement version control of your reports.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

>report is managed with suffix as V1 , V2 etc

Does it mean you have multiple copies of the report in the workspace?
V1, V2 etc at the same time? How do you creates these copies of the report (e.g. do you rename pbix file before publsihing new version)?

If you need report version inside of the report (dataset) you can just add a table in Power Query with versions history or you can use a parameter just to store actual version number. Update the tabel or the parameter before report publishing.

Hi @avatorl 

Yes, we are maintaining multiple version of the report.

If you need report version inside of the report (dataset) you can just add a table in Power Query with versions history  : But this will be a manual process? need to automatized the process in this regards.

Thanks

Amit

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Then just use API. Inspired by your question I've just built a report that displays its own metadata (didn't visualze the report name, but it's the same approach), including the refresh history, including failed refreshes

https://powerofbi.org/2021/02/01/a-power-bi-report-that-displays-its-own-metadata-including-refresh-...

Hi @avatorl 

Solution looks promising!!

Could you please help me out with PowerShell script for retreiving specific Dataset name of specific report name.

Aplologies for bothering you a lot!!
Thanks

Amit

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @amsrivas ,

next to @lbendlin suggested, there is no DAX function that will return the name of the dataset.

Regards,

Tom 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Unless you renamed your report the dataset name and the report name are the same.

@lbendlin 

Yes, Name of report and dataset is same.

Requirements is to display the name of say report in the CARD visual and if there is any change in the name of report, card will display changed name, didn't want any manual intervention to change the name of report in card.

Thanks 

• Amit Srivastava

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.