Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Data Tables Not Maintaining Column Order

Hi,

In Power Query, I sorted a table per the below example:

Column_abc, Column_bcd, Column_cde

When I close and load the table and view it in the Data Table view it has a different column order:

Column_bcd, Col_abc, Col_cde

Why would the data table change the column order?

Additionally, when I copy the table and paste it into Excel it combines all columns as one column despite clearly being 4 separate columns in Power BI. Any ideas why this would happen?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

take a look at this blog post:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/12/18/power-bi-and-column-order-in-m-queries-and-dataset-tables/

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

1. I'm afraid it couldn't achieve that sort the column order in Power BI data pane for now.

and for column order which you had sorted, you could use the method as LivioLanzo provided.

2. when I copy the table and paste it into Excel it combines all columns as one column despite clearly being 4 separate columns in Power BI.

After my test, it works well. So please check when you paste it into excel, whether you had paste it into one cell?

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the reply! After applying Livio's solution, Power BI is now pasting the table into mutliple columns as it should. I am 99% that this was not a user error and is a bug, perhaps one that occurs when a table is split in two, then appended as new and with the sort order changing.

In any event, problem solved, thanks!

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

take a look at this blog post:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/12/18/power-bi-and-column-order-in-m-queries-and-dataset-tables/

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

This solution worked, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.