Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akwang
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI DBF file extension ODBC

Hi All,

So i was following this example from https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2018/02/23/importing-a-dbf-file-into-power-bi/

since i have a DBF database i want to import and am getting this error message.

DataSource.Error: OLE DB: Could not find installable ISAM.
Details:
    DataSourceKind=OleDb
    DataSourcePath=data source="C:\Users\akwang\Desktop\RMA File\";extended properties='dBASE IV", [Query="select * from [RMA.DBF]';provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0
    Message=Could not find installable ISAM.
    ErrorCode=-2147467259

Any Idea how to solve? i have a 64bit install of office.

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @akwang,

It seems like you're use multiple extended properties in you connection string, right?
If this is a case, extended properties value tokens must be quoted.

Reference:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Could not find installable ISAM

If you use more than 1 extended property then the value tokens must be quoted, otherwise there is no way for the driver to distinguish them from the other non-extended properties in the connection string.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

my code is:

= let
    Source = OleDb.DataSource("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12;Data Source=C:\Users\akwang\Desktop\RMA File\;Extended Properties=dBASE IV"", [Query=""select * from [rain.dbf]")
 in
    Source

This is exactly as stated in the blog. I followed the link you posted and tried different mods to the string such as

Extended Properties=dBASE IV;HDR=Yes""

Extended Properties='dBASE IV;HDR=Yes'"

And i get syntax ERROR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that possible that PowerBI doesn't load a dbf file if the name of this dbf used capitalized letters and "_" ?

How can we load a dbf file if it takes this type of name ?

The performance is terible and very unstable. The best way is using ODBC 64-bits driver like this go.helpbi.com/dbf

HI @akwang,

It seems like your issue is not caused with extended properties, maybe you can take a look at following official document to fix registry of dBase.

You receive a "Could not find installable ISAM" error message or some file types are missing when yo...

If above not help, you can also try to contact to author for know more about that operations.

Notice: please do backup before operate if you want to modify registry.  

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.