Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

InsightBob
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Composite Models: Measures in model not working

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand an error message?

I've been tinkering wth the composite models functionality,  when i connect to one of my datasets (with direct query), all of the measures within that model do not work and are flagged with the following error message:

"Cannot find data source 'DirectQuery to AS - [DATASET NAME]' in function 'EXTERNALMEASURE'

So far i have:

- Been able to connect to other datasets without issue
- Experience the same issue when connecting to this particular dataset, and this dataset alone using DQ
- Experience the same issue if i publish the dataset to another workspace
- In all scenarios i am able to recreate the measure, by writing it again, without issue and with expected results

DesktopVersion: 2.88.1144.0 64-bit (December 2020)

It feels like an issue with the dataset, i don't understand the error message well enogh to know what the problem is, particularly the EXTERNALMEASURE bit

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
DSiffredi
Employee
Employee

Did you figure this out? I'm having that exact issue with a mixed model directquery and excel , sometimes I get some weird timeouts when running on the service ... very strange . 

any pointers? 

austin3120
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue. Are you connected to a dataset used in a template app? I was originally connected to a Power BI dataset with a live connection, and as soon as I converted to a composite model, all of the measures on my dataset broke with the same error. 

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @InsightBob ,

Sorry, I can't reproduce your issue, coulc you describe more information? Connection mode in the original report? The formula of measure? DirectQuery data source relationships? And is the problem in desktop or service?

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.