Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

btahir
Regular Visitor

Power BI Azure Blob Storage

My cost management billing analysis exports to a storage account (blob).

I use Power Bi to Get Data>Azure>Azure Blob Storage.

The data loads and shows all the csv files that are exported into the blob. I can get this to work for the current day but im looking for a way to make the query use the newest set of data. The newest set of data includes all the old data as well. 

Is there any way to set up the newest csv file to be used for the query?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@btahir in power query, sort by date modified and then select keep rows and choose one. So basically in Power query you will have most recent file and then you can use that to feed to your power bi visualization.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@btahir when you read files from blob storage, do you have timestamp for the file, if yes, you can keep the most recent file and remove other rows before reading the file that way you always have most recent file.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Im very new to PowerBI so please forgive my ignorance. 

Do you delete the date column in the azure csv file or do I delete that column in PowerBI?

Some of my visuals use the date as a reference. Will I lose that ability?

Below are some screen shots of what im seeing:

Snag_4805958b.pngSnag_4805a7bb.png

@btahir in power query, sort by date modified and then select keep rows and choose one. So basically in Power query you will have most recent file and then you can use that to feed to your power bi visualization.

image.png

@parry2k   Thank you so much for your help. 

I have one more question that you help me with. 

Will these applied steps in the queue editor happen everytime the page is refreshed or will I have to do them manually?

Again thank you for all your help. This is my first project in PowerBI and I appreciate all your help!

@btahir these steps are applied all the time when data refresh happens, you don't have to do anything, it is part of data prep step 🙂

Thank you again. Youve saved me from pulling my hair out (what little thats left). Smiley Happy

@btahir Glad I able to help. Cheers!!! 

@btahir i see there is date modified property which can help to get the most recent file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.