Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DJL
Regular Visitor

Power BI App | Can one filter drive multiple reports?

Hi all,

We have implemented a Power BI app in order to consolidate two independent reports (ie: two separate pbix files)  These reports have commonality in that they focus on generating analysis against an identical cohort of suppliers.

It is worth declaring that it is the significant complexity behind each report which determined the decision to separate them.  In our scenario, it is not an option to create one data model.

Currently, the consumer has to filter each report to whatever supplier they're reviewing.  From a UX perspective, we're wondering if it's possible to link the filter between the reports in some way?

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Thanks 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DJL you can use the drillthrough feature to go from one report to the other with the selection that came from the 1st report already applied to the 2nd. There are some considirations and twiks you need to be aware of. Read this article:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-cross-report-drill-through?tabs=pow...

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DJL you can use the drillthrough feature to go from one report to the other with the selection that came from the 1st report already applied to the 2nd. There are some considirations and twiks you need to be aware of. Read this article:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-cross-report-drill-through?tabs=pow...

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Hi Sparta,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion 😊

I've taken a look and whilst I can see this would meet some use cases it's a bit too fiddly and unintuitive for how I'm looking to deply a cross-report filter.  I'm probably describing a feature which doesn't yet exist: something like an 'App Level Filter' which the consumer can select and cascades into whatever reports within the App share that common field.

But thanks for the input - it's always worth asking!

Thanks,

DJL

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DJL my pleasure 🙂 And yes, you are right 🙂
Please don't forget to accept the previous message as a solution for community visibility.
P.S. Check out my showcase report - got some high level stuff there. Sure you will find there a lot of cool ideas. Please give it a thumbs up over there if you liked it 🙂
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SpartaBI-Feat-Contoso-100K/td-p/2449543

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.