Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI 32 bit version - Exception of type "System.OutOfMemoryException" was thrown

Hello,

I am using Power BI 32 bit version as the whole team using Power BI are having Microsoft Office 32 bit. I have created a report which has a few data and I am performing in DAX a UNION function which has SELECTCOLUMN functions in it. This seems to take a lot of RAM as when I am trying to open the Power BI file it returns an error message " Exception of type "System.OutOfMemoryException" was thrown". 

Can you please suggest some ways to solve this issue (i.e ways on how to decrease the memory requirements for the report or any other potential solutions)?

Many thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'd like to suggest you to use 64 bit version, it allow you to use more memory resource on power bi desktop.(32bit applications has 2G memory limit: Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Shenge

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Xiaoxin,

Many thanks for your support, I understand that the 64 bit version is the ideal solution. However, as I mentioned it is not possible to replace Office 32 bit to 64 bit for all Power BI potential users for multiple reasons and I am trying to thing ways to  resolve this issue with other ways. Is there anything else you can suggest (i.e. ways to minimize report specs etc.)?

Many thanks,

Marios

Hey,

you can use Power BI 64bit also if you have Office 32bit, this matters only if you use Access as a data source.

You may consider to combine the tables in Power Query using the APPEND transformation and just use the new table in your model.

Maybe this gets you some ideas.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Tom,

Many thanks for your suggestions, they useful to start thinking about new ways to resolve my issue. Unfortunately in my client's laptop I need to download Access Database Engine in order to refresh Power BI reports from my excel data. When I go to download Access Database for 64 bit I have a conflict with Microsoft Office as I get error message that I cannot download Access Database for 64 bit while having Office 32 bit. This issue gives me no option than to go for Power BI 32 bit version with which I am having the issue with System out of memory exception.  Please note that I do not have the option to use Office 64 bit for multiple reasons.

About using Power Query to append my tables I am afraid I cannot use this as I am having some essential DAX calculated fields in my tables which dissapear when I go to Query editor. For that reason I am using the functions UNION and SELECTCOLUMNS in DAX.

Looking forward for your response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.