Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bjorneev
Frequent Visitor

Power Automate Environment / Power BI

When importing the Power Automate for Power BI visual I only get flows, or can create flows, in the default power automate environment. Is it possible to get flows from a non-default environment using this visual?

25 REPLIES 25
sagarsankhe
Frequent Visitor

I don't think you can use flows from environment other than your default environment of Power Automate. 

Documentation for Power automate visual in Power BI states:

"The visual will only display flows within your default environment. We plan to add support for an environment selector by the general availability release."

Ref: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-automate-visual?tabs=powerbi-desk...

For the record - this is possible for PowerApps visuals. There you can switch environments.

mpaixao
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

I found a solution. 

Step 1 - get the "ID" of 2nd environment(the one that is not default), basically when you select it on the Power Automate page your URL will look like this https://make.powerautomate.com/environments/xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx/flows

Step 2 - Open the Power BI Report at Edit mode on browser (it will not work on Power BI Desktop)

Step 3 - Go to the trigger of Power Automate inside of report and Edit, it will show you the list of flows on default environment. 

Step 4 - Right click and "Inspect" to see the source code of the page, search for "Environment", in my case it's the 5th ocurrence. It's a iframe with a long address.

It starts with:
https://xxxxx.flow.microsoft.com/en-US/widgets/manage/environments/Default-yyyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyyyy/flows?.....

Step 5 - Change the the part between "environments/" and "/flows" to the 2nd environment (got on Step1). It will refresh the iframe automatically and then you will see the list of flows on 2nd environment.

TESTED ON EDGE, I believe it works for Chrome and others.

If works for you give me a LIKE 🙂

Thanks for the solution, it works properly for myself. However, my colleague is still directed to the default environment when they open the same report and click the same button.  Can this solution be applied the same to other users as well? 

BTW don't forget to give a 👍

Hi,

It sounds weird for me. Just a obivous question, have you update the App after doing it? This is a visual settings change and if you don't update the App it will keep previous version on it.

If you did I expect that it will work exactly in same way for all users, if not, could be the case that this user don't have access to this specific environment.

Best regards.

I am sorry but what do you mean by saying 'update the App' ?  I saved the report after I changed environment id from default to another one.  But when I open the report and go into edit mode of the power automate button, it shows the same old power automate flow that exists in the default enviroment as if nothing was changed.  Interesting fact is that the button is working perfect using a new flow in another environment even though it appears connected to the previous flow in the default enviroment.  😅

Ok, I see, actually this is expected, this method have to be applied each time you go to edit mode of the button, it means you are not able to do changes on Power BI Desktop and if you edit it even on browser it will show the Default and them you have to apply the method again. In any case it supposed to work for all users, not to edit but to use the Power Automate element itself.

Regarding the "update the App" I mean that is the app of Power BI Online for a given workspace, but don't worry as you don't know i'm sure it's not your case.

I tried this and it worked to allow me to connecto to a different environment and launch the Power Automate, however it did not pass any of the variable I had selected to the Power Automate but instead shows this for the body:

"body": {
        "entity": {
            "Power BI values": []
        }
    }

Hi,

My case it's only a trigger with no variables. I would recomend to check if there is more instance of enviroment and flow URL and replace it as well. Also you can try to create a Automate Flow on the standard enviroment and in the different enviroment, and proceed with the steps above to migrate from one to another, but I'm not sure that it will work, you have to try...

Best regards.

dataanalyst88
Frequent Visitor

Any solution for this yet ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's 17th August 2022 still I don't get any solution to this. Can anyone please share the workaround for this.

Hi,

It's 17th August 2022 and I have done research still no solution to this. Can someone please share the solution if any.

Regards,

Amit Kumar Rath

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Currently, you cannot change the Power Automate environment.  There is an idea that you can go upvote to add this functionality.  Please see this link: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=04e32a46-56b6-ec11-bea2-281878e63983 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do we know if the issue is going to be be resolved by Microsoft? As the Power apps solution will not allow me to retrieve data from the Power Bi report like my curretn flow. 

JoelBrewer_0-1650601718741.png

AC_PBI
Regular Visitor

Did anyone find a solution for this?

Even I have faced the same issue. From power automate it will redirect to default envirnoment. I'm just wondering how to change the envirnoment from power bi desktop. 

I ended up embedding an Power App, and trigger the flow throug the Power App. Not sure if there are any new capabilities introduced the last months that lets you choose flows from another environment

sammy-bridge

I'm having the same issue here. Did anyone get a solution for this?

No, not for getting flows from another environments. I circumvented this by embedding a Power App in the report instead to pass the data and trigger a flow in the correct environment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors