Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Postgres SQL increase the size of the .pbix file to > 1GB

Hi all,

I don't know if someone had the issue with Postgres SQL server, the file size increase drastically. 

Our file was only 90mb with OData but with Postgres SQL the file size is more than 1GB (around 80M rows). 

Does Anyone have an idea why is this happening? I assumed that it was the data model but I check and everything is fine. The load of the columns also. 

I have a hypothesis: The connector downloads all the designated database into the Pbix file. That means that the file is the actual Database from the server. Can it that be? 

Best,
J.

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jmenas

Did you try two method to connect to Postgres SQL server, using ODBC connection or Postgres SQL database connector?

This issue happens for the second method, right?

Best Regards

Maggie

We've just did a test using ODBC to connect to the PostgreSQL server with roughly the same result. In fact, in one test, the ODBC dataset size increased by ~ 10%.

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

no, we have not actually tried connecting to the PostgreSQL database using the ODBC datasource type.
I'm guessing from your question that this is a somewhat known issue when using the PostgresSQL type connector, so we'll give ODBC a go and report back.

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers

Lukas

hi @v-juanli-msft

I am using the PostgreSQL.Database, so to answer your question yes. Can I change it? should I set it up similar to http://jaykilleen.com/posts/connect-powerbi-to-a-remote-postgresql-database-encrypted-with-ssl?  

Thanks,

Best,

J.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.