Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible to sort by at every sequence in an Tree decomposition?

My issue is that I really want to use the Tree decomposition visual to make a deep data dive effect, to find the root of a case!.

As you can see below the tree always picks the highest count value and place it above. Instead, I really want to be able to set specific sort by for every sequence. In this case, I will sort by year so 2020 will be highest and decline. After that, I will introduce months and I want them to be in order responding to its month number, so January, Feb etc. etc. The reason I want this is that I want to make the same user format no matter what year you pick! It really helps user-friendliness to not have the month and years switch places all the time depending on its values!. I also will be able to sort by "count value" when we are at employee level, which in my case is the lowest level "farthest to the right" in the tree. Just so we can see who is the main reason for the high number.

Hope you can help me with this issue 😄 would be so awesome to solve it!

BR Martin J Nielsen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

In the visual of Decomposition Tree, we only can sort by the high value or low value. It is not supported to sort by other ways. You can vote up the idea: Decomposition Sort Order and submit the comments to make Power BI better.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

Stick your date in the "columns" field 🙂

power bi Columns.jpg

Or under Axis:

power bi axis.jpg

depending on what graphics element you use

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the fast respond 🙂 but the date is in the colomn already, its the reason why in picture it can devide the numbers in each respective years 🙂 the issue is that every time I expand the tree with a new variable I need to change what it should be sort by 🙂 sometimes by year, month, highest value etc.

Try to send a screenshot where it is shown how you have set it up 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clip 3.pngClip 2.pngClip 1.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

As you can see it doesn't sort correctly. Firstly it takes the highest value by the year, which should have been the latest year first. Then in the next branch/sequence, you can see it also sort the month by highest value instead of having them in chronological. I need a way where I can choose by what factor it should sort by on each branch/step in the decision tree. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

In the visual of Decomposition Tree, we only can sort by the high value or low value. It is not supported to sort by other ways. You can vote up the idea: Decomposition Sort Order and submit the comments to make Power BI better.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply 🙂 I have voted for improvements BR Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clip.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.