Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

phyten
Helper I
Helper I

Possible to get hyperlink data from textfield?

I am importing data from a xlsx file. Within this file there are text fields who also contain hyperlinks.

When I import the excel file into PowerBi all I can see is the actual content of the text field. Is there a way to get a hold of the hyperlink data as well?

What I want is to be able to click on the elements within powerBi (from a table or chart) and the linked webpage opens . f.e. text = Google hyperlink = www.google.com

EDIT: for clarification: What I have is data which is provided like this: http://imgur.com/a/CJ8LU excel.jpg

Is there a way to get the hyperlink data in powerBI without changing the Excel file?

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @phyten,

Currently, we are not able to get hyperlink data from text field after importing data from Excel file to Power BI Desktop.

One possible method is to separate the text data and hyperlink data into different columns in Excel, then import the Excel file to Power BI Desktop. That way, you are able to create a table or matrix using the hyperlink field categorized as a Web URL. You can check the example in the following screenshots, for more details, please review this article: Hyperlinks in tables.
1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answer. @v-yuezhe-msft

The "problem" is I am downloading large datasets of excel on a daily base and editing excel with command line is a pain in the *** since all of this should run automatically on a server. 

Would be nice if this could become a feature in the future. 

For now I found a workaround with a custom column within powerBI since the domains i want to visit follow the rule of

="staticdomain.com/static/"&[Key]. 

But then again this is not a nice solution since this is only possible due to coherent URLs. But maybe someone with the same problem can also use this meanwhile

I also was trying to mask the hyperlink with text so that I don't see the link itself but rather a text.

To reference the picture above.

Dispaly the text of column1 click on it within a table and it opens the link stored in column2.

Clicking a link is a  ugly solution. People rather want to click keywords. 

regards

Hi @phyten,

Unfortunately,  there is no better method besides editing Excel file to work around this issue.

Regarding to your requirement, you can submit a new idea in the Power BI ideas forum or add your vote in the link that ImkeF provides.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regarding my second question whether it is possibel to just show a placeholder/keyword for the link to click I found a solution.

http://analyticsavenue.com/power-bi-shorten-hyperlink-url/

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

As far as I'm aware this functionality is currently not supported. But you can vote for it here: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/16972543...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

phyten
Helper I
Helper I

I am importing data from a xlsx file. Within this file there are text fields who also contain hyperlinks.

When I import the excel file into PowerBi all I can see is the actual content of the text field. Is there a way to get a hold of the hyperlink data as well.

What I want is to be able to click on the elements within powerBi (from a table or chart) and the linked webpage opens . f.e. text = Google hyperlink = www.google.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.