Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

po
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Possible to ensure button always stays on top of a visual/line chart

Hi,

Have line chart below with drill through button which works when select point on line chart.

Ideally woudl like thsi button to be on top of the chart i.e. within the white border (i.e. top right) 

Have used align bring to front and visible when not selecting an individual point to drillthrough.  When do then the button disappears presumably as focus on the line chart which being selected.

Is it possible to have the green button below always on top of the line chat visible?

Don;t want to have to have another white rectangle below just to give impression part of same chart - woudl just wnat to place it on top of the chart e.g top right so always vsisible.

button.JPG

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@po 

Yes, you may need to do the same with the actual visual, but "send it to the back" and then set maintain layer order

EDIT: Actually, if you format the actual visual by sending it to the back and enabling the option "maintain layer order" (so no need to format the button), it works.

2021-03-05.png

Bookmarks and buttons.gif

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @po ,

Can you share the BACKGROUND settings for your chart?

I think if you click on your visual and go to format option then switch off BAckground: (as shown below)

Pragati11_0-1614872201028.png

Now place your button on top of your visual and do BRING to FRONT. This should resolve your issue.

Let me know how you get along with this.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi Pragati,

Thanks for reply.

Have background set to on for line chart visual.

Resaon have set to on is to have white background for visual.

If set background to off button contibues to be visible and solve this.

However, ideally woudl like to have background on and still have button visible.

Reason looking to have white background is due to company image in background makes the chart stand out less as opposed to white backgroudn of vsiual.

background_set_to_off.JPG

Is it possible to have the white background on the chart and the button still visible somehow?

Thanks

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@po 

To keep the button at the front, "bring it to the front" as @Pragati11  suggests and turn on the "Maintain layer order" under the "General" formatting settings for the button in the formatting pane.

Captura.JPG

Just beware that this setting will only apply once the report is published; it has no effect while editing on Desktop. 

This way, in the published report, the button will always be placed on top of the visual.

Paul on Linkedin.

Hi @PaulDBrown ,

Thanks for sharing this workaround. I learnt something new today. 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @po ,

What happens if you set Background = ON for both visual and button?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi,

When background set to ON for both button not visible when place on top of chart.

Thanks

Did you set button to BRING To FRONT after swiching on background?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Yes tried that.

What looks to happen is that when click on data point on chart visual, the button disappears 

Then if click elsewhere on the report e.g. another visual the button reappears.

Ideal user workflow  woudl be for user to click point on chart, button stays visible then can click.  Wouldn't want ideally to have to say to users if clcik point in chart, then need to add extra step of clicking another visual to see button as not user-friendly and would be 3 rather than 2 mouse-clicks.

Thanks

Hi @po ,

Yeah that's what I suspected as you are using point click finctionality to enable your button. Generally in these scenarios we keep BUTTON at the bottom of the chart but in your case you want it over thet chart. I can only suggest setting background OFF for your visual.

Not sure if you can share your pbix file so that I can have a go by removing any sensitive information.

Use dropbox to create downlaodable link to your pbix file.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Unfortuanetly can't share due to nature of data.

workaround I'm uisng is button at bottom but this inside a white rectangle rather than part of chart to give illusion part of chart.

When you have your button at bottom of chart is it part of actual chart visual itself?

If could have as part of chart visual even at bottom that would be improvement on what currently doing with separate white rectangle to house the button.

button1.JPG

po
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi both,

Tried suggestion of setting maintina layer order on button itself, republished to service and still same behaviour button disappears.

Do we also need to set maintian layer order onthe chart visual?

Do you hane an exampel of a working .pbx with this backgroudn set on both with button visible on top of chart.

Thanks

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@po 

Yes, you may need to do the same with the actual visual, but "send it to the back" and then set maintain layer order

EDIT: Actually, if you format the actual visual by sending it to the back and enabling the option "maintain layer order" (so no need to format the button), it works.

2021-03-05.png

Bookmarks and buttons.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

Hi,

Thanks both for your help on this.

Set send to back and maintian layer order on line chart visual itself and now works as expected with button persisting in foreground.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.