Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Possible to clear drillthrough filters?

I asked this about 6 months ago and it was not yet possible, but I was wondering if this has changed?

I love the drill through feature but my users often want to CLEAR out a drill through.

There does not appear to be anyway to do that when viewing a report?

Example:

Page1 Sales by State

Page 2 Sales by City with a state drill through

They right click on the state, drillthrough, go to Page 2.  That's great but THEN they want to see ALL cities on that page (maybe they want to sort to see cities ranked by sales...whatever).

There is no way to clear that selected state drill through.

They have to close and reload the PBI page to do that *refresh doesn't always work in browser, so close and reopen tab.

Is there no way to have a "click drill through" filter?  That back button is already on the page, can't there be a "clear" icon next to it or something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@OneWithQuestion

1. Isn't the Filter pane visible on the right of the view in the Power BI service?

Filter Pane.PNG

2. You can use bookmarks within a report itself (no URL needed). Here's how (NB, if you are not on the most recent release of Power BI Desktop - March 2018 - you will have to enable the Bookmark feature in PBI Desktop under File > Options and settings > options > preview features > select "Bookmarks". I think that in the March release the feature is enabled by default.)

Then follow the process seen in these screenshots (while on the page where the drill-through takes you to):

clear drill through1.PNGClear drill through2.png

Once you have it set up, you can test it by ctrl + clicking on the image on Desktop, or directly clicking it on the Power Bi service.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@OneWithQuestion

Can't they just clear the filter in the filter pane (report view)? 

drill trhough.png

Alternatively you might try adding a "button" (image) to act as a "clear filters button", by linking it to a bookmark in which there are no filters applied.

Paul on Linkedin.

The filter pane is not visible to my users, is there a setting I need to check to enable that for them?

The Bookmark is an interesting idea I had not considered that, is it possible to make a relative bookmark or will it have to be to the entire URL so that any time I move to report I'll have to update the bookmark link?

Thanks!

@OneWithQuestion

1. Isn't the Filter pane visible on the right of the view in the Power BI service?

Filter Pane.PNG

2. You can use bookmarks within a report itself (no URL needed). Here's how (NB, if you are not on the most recent release of Power BI Desktop - March 2018 - you will have to enable the Bookmark feature in PBI Desktop under File > Options and settings > options > preview features > select "Bookmarks". I think that in the March release the feature is enabled by default.)

Then follow the process seen in these screenshots (while on the page where the drill-through takes you to):

clear drill through1.PNGClear drill through2.png

Once you have it set up, you can test it by ctrl + clicking on the image on Desktop, or directly clicking it on the Power Bi service.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Paul.

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown 

I cannot see "link" in the format pane to add my book mark

The UI has changed. You can find the bookmarks under "View" in the ribbon

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown 

Yes UI has changed.got it!

Just a quick one on this because I think the drill through pages could be so much better.

Yes the bookmark feature will remove the drill through filter and allow selection from a slicer or something of a different code.

However the major problem happens when you leave the page.

If you use the page as a drill through from another page, the next time you get to the drill thru page the item from the slicer you previously selected AND the drill through item are also selected.

The drill through function is great and all but most want to be then able to change the item selection from that page via a slicer, and not have to go to the filters tab to do so. 

I am not sure if you had any suggestions in this space would be good to get the page working correctly.

Currently I have a duplicate of the drill through page that has a slicer on it so the user can select their own item.

It means having to duplciate all visuals on the drill through page on a second one.

Just a quick one on this because I think the drill through pages could be so much better.

Yes the bookmark feature will remove the drill through filter and allow selection from a slicer or something of a different code.

However the major problem happens when you leave the page.

If you use the page as a drill through from another page, the next time you get to the drill thru page the item from the slicer you previously selected AND the drill through item are also selected.

The drill through function is great and all but most want to be then able to change the item selection from that page via a slicer, and not have to go to the filters tab to do so. 

I am not sure if you had any suggestions in this space would be good to get the page working correctly.

Currently I have a duplicate of the drill through page that has a slicer on it so the user can select their own item.

It means having to duplciate all visuals on the drill through page on a second one.

Hello,

Did you find the solution or work around for this?

Thanks

Unfortunately there is no great workaround to this.

Microsoft would say to manually clear the drill through filter from the filter tab.

We all know that from a user consumption point of view that is no workable to do everytime you use the page.

What we did was to create a duplicate of the page and on the drill through page put a Search image on the page that moves the user to the duplciate of the page that has the filter provided as a slicer on the page.

So we of course hate it because we have to maintain two pages for the same functionality and keep the two pages up to date. but its a workaround meaning that they can drill through but then if they want to change the drill through record we essentially have them jump to a indentical page to do that.

We would be interested in a nice alternative solution for this if it came along (so instead of the duplicate page solution which doesn't work for us)!

I have no other way now but to simply instruct our users to clear any previous filter selections through a text box on the report page.

Desktop Version:
Go to the Visualizations pane on the right and under fields and Drill through, hover on any filters that do NOT say "is (All)". 
Click on the eraser icon to clear the selection.

Clear Drillthrough.jpg

Online Version:
Go to the filter pane to the right of the report.  Click on the eraser icon to clear any selections (any that do NOT say "is (All)".  This will work if the creater has chosen to show the filter pane once published and has not locked the individual filters you are trying to clear. 

Clear Drillthrough2.jpg

Thanks!!

The bookmarks worked great!

I appreciate it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.