Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BenNorris
Frequent Visitor

Possible bug with chart y axis custom number formatting

Hi,

I think there might be a bug with the way custom number formatting is applied to chart y axes. I have some simple data ranging from -5000000 to 5000000 and I have applied the following number format to that column:

#,##0,,.0;(#,##0,,.0);-

When I put that data in a chart and set the y axis display units to 'none' (instead of auto) then I get the following chart - note the correct number formatting on the positive part of the axis but the incorrect format on the negative side:

ChartNumberFormatBug_1.JPGThe table below the chart shows the same data with the same number formatting just in a table (to illustrate that it works just fine there).

If I change the number format to the following then everything works ok, so it looks like it's something to do with the parenthesis in the number format:

#,##0,,.0;-#,##0,,.0;-

ChartNumberFormatBug_2.JPG

Is this expected behaviour? If so, what do I need to do to get my negative number format to work correctly in the chart (I need to use brackets for the negative values)? I don't want to use the display units setting as we don't want the 'M' next to the millions.

Thanks,

Ben

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @BenNorris,

I test both two custom formats with simple data but I can't reproduce this on my side. What version for power bi desktop are you test? Can you please share the sample pbix file to test?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft 

I'm using Version: 2.85.985.0 64-bit (September 2020)

Here's a link to an example file showing the issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uvygzsq33jwUkLG3hUp64n5-9GHZT9es/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help!

Ben.

HI @BenNorris,

This issue seems fixed on the version: 2.88.721.0 64-bit (December 2020)

10.png

Please update your desktop to the last version to confirm if this also works on your side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @BenNorris,

Ok, I will report this scenario to power bi team and update here if I received any feedback or ETA.

Update:

This issue has been submitted at CRI 209504343.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.