Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ALeef
Advocate III
Advocate III

Possible Tip/Trick: Dynamic Date Dimension Table

I'm going to share the dynamic date dimension table I built, hopefully it is useful to someone!  I named it DateTable for this tutorial, and my fact table FactTable.

The table is built using the following formula:

DateTable = CALENDAR (MINX('FactTable', [Created Date]), NOW())

Basically, it looks for the oldest date you have for the column [created date], and builds a sequential date range until the time of refresh - so it always has calendar information for all data points in the set.

I added the following columns:

Date = This is built when you create the table

Year = YEAR([Date])

MonthofYear = MONTH([Date])

QuarterofYear = ROUNDUP (MONTH([Date])/3,0)

OrdinalDate = DATEDIFF([Year]&",1,1",[Date],DAY)+1

DayofWeek = WEEKDAY([Date],2)

ISOWeekofYear = IF ((([OrdinalDate] - [DayofWeek] + 10)/7) >= 53, 1, TRUNC(([OrdinalDate] - [DayofWeek] + 10)/7))

DayofMonth = DAY([Date])

Month = FORMAT([Date], "MMM") & " " & [Year])

Quarter = "Q" & [Quarter] & " " & [Year]

Week Ending = [Date] + (7- [DayofWeek])

Day = Format([Date],"DDDD")

With both the numeric and text values, you can use "Sort by" to properly order them in visuals.  If you want your week numbers to start on a Sunday instead of Monday, change the "1" to a "2" in ISOWeekofYear column - however ISO Standard is a Monday Start.

I'm still pretty new to PowerBI, but I'll help if I can!  If you have suggestions or modifications, I'd love to hear them.

EDIT:  I changed how the week number is calculated, so I can use ISO Week Numbers.  This also helped fix the "week Ending column, which broke when spanning multiple years that included a leap year.  Let me know if you find any problems!

EDIT2:  MS just released the timeline slicer for PowerBI.  That probably, mostly makes this table useless.  Read more here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/11/03/visual-awesomeness-unlocked-the-timeline-slicer.a...

39 REPLIES 39

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.