Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ALeef
Advocate III
Advocate III

Possible Tip/Trick: Dynamic Date Dimension Table

I'm going to share the dynamic date dimension table I built, hopefully it is useful to someone!  I named it DateTable for this tutorial, and my fact table FactTable.

The table is built using the following formula:

DateTable = CALENDAR (MINX('FactTable', [Created Date]), NOW())

Basically, it looks for the oldest date you have for the column [created date], and builds a sequential date range until the time of refresh - so it always has calendar information for all data points in the set.

I added the following columns:

Date = This is built when you create the table

Year = YEAR([Date])

MonthofYear = MONTH([Date])

QuarterofYear = ROUNDUP (MONTH([Date])/3,0)

OrdinalDate = DATEDIFF([Year]&",1,1",[Date],DAY)+1

DayofWeek = WEEKDAY([Date],2)

ISOWeekofYear = IF ((([OrdinalDate] - [DayofWeek] + 10)/7) >= 53, 1, TRUNC(([OrdinalDate] - [DayofWeek] + 10)/7))

DayofMonth = DAY([Date])

Month = FORMAT([Date], "MMM") & " " & [Year])

Quarter = "Q" & [Quarter] & " " & [Year]

Week Ending = [Date] + (7- [DayofWeek])

Day = Format([Date],"DDDD")

With both the numeric and text values, you can use "Sort by" to properly order them in visuals.  If you want your week numbers to start on a Sunday instead of Monday, change the "1" to a "2" in ISOWeekofYear column - however ISO Standard is a Monday Start.

I'm still pretty new to PowerBI, but I'll help if I can!  If you have suggestions or modifications, I'd love to hear them.

EDIT:  I changed how the week number is calculated, so I can use ISO Week Numbers.  This also helped fix the "week Ending column, which broke when spanning multiple years that included a leap year.  Let me know if you find any problems!

EDIT2:  MS just released the timeline slicer for PowerBI.  That probably, mostly makes this table useless.  Read more here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powerbi/archive/2015/11/03/visual-awesomeness-unlocked-the-timeline-slicer.a...

39 REPLIES 39
GTR
Helper III
Helper III

Great techniques, looking to tinker with this a bit more to incorporate it for personal use.

Thanks!

GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I am probably missing something but when I enter the DateTable = CALENDAR (MINX('FactTable', [Created Date]), NOW()) in a new table it says it cant find FactTable. I changed this to a table I had imported and then it says Created Date cannot be found.

I am very new to DAX so would appreciate if you could explain a bit further please as this looks very useful.

Thanks,

@GilesWalker : [Created Date] refers to a field in my Fact Table, so you will have to change your field name to something that has a date in it.

Did you put for minx 

1 The table name   'Account Transactions', 

2  The field name    'Account Transactions'[Date]) ,

DateTable = CALENDAR(              minx (     'Account Transactions',      'Account Transactions'[Date]     ) ,         today ())

RJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

To get dates to sort in the correct order I used this one

MonthT = FORMAT([Date], "MMM") & " " & [Year])

MonthN = MONTH([Date])

And then sorted by SUM OF MonthN as a value

dATES.GIF

Edit Actually there is a much better way to do this as shown below

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sorting-by-Month-as-Text-Jan-Feb-Mar-etc/m-p/9242/highlight/...

RJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

bernitorres
Regular Visitor

I am new to PowerBI and I don't understand how to actually create this table.

I tried creating a New Source -> Blank Query and inserting your query, but that doesn't seem to work.

Could you please add some more detailed steps on how to add it to the queries, for newbies like me? 🙂

@konstantinos has it right.  I made it using the New Table option on the ribbon.

I edited the table above to inclue ISO Week number, which also helped fix the Week Ending values.  Should be more accurate now.  Please let me know if you figure out how to break it!

@bernitorres You can create/import tables with 2 ways. One is importing with "Get Data" and the other is through DAX data modelling.

You need to go to the data model view and in the ribbon go to modeling tab & select "New Table". thus using DAX language.

The "Get data" uses M language which is used only for importing data to data model.

Keep in mind that you need to already have import some data in order to see the :Modelling" tab..

1.png

Konstantinos Ioannou
RJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

BTW I always use today() not now()

Does it make any difference?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I notice you refer to TODAY() and NOW() functions.

I am looking to include rolling periods in my date dimension, but I can't seem to get the TODAY() function to work in Power BI Desktop.

Using 'Add column' to test a generic 'Current Date' column - to use i.e. to calculate deal age or similar, I get this result.

Formula;

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type6", "TESTTODAY", each TODAY())

Error Message;

"Expression error: The name 'TODAY' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly."

Would you happen to have any useful insights, how to apply this formula in Power BI?

Thanks.

TODAY() and NOW() are DAX functions and are available in the data model. You'd define a new column with a ribbon button called 'New Column'.

You are referring to the 'Add Custom Column' button in Power Query. Power Query uses the M data mashup language, which is based on the F# language. In M the way to get the current date-time is as follows:

// Power Query
// Current date-time

= DateTime.LocalNow()

// Current date (without any time portion)

= DateTime.Date( DateTime.LocalNow() )

TODAY() only returns a day, and sets the time to 12:00am.  For this instance, I don't think it matters, but I use timestamps regularly, so that is what I'm in the habit of.

Good question!

RJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi

Thanks for this

What would you do if you wanted more than one calendar. Say an Invoice Date plus an Order Date Calendar

Would you need two new tables or could one be set up (called  DateTable) and filter by date type in the measure somehow?

Is this possible

Thanks

EDIT. To do the above

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Linking-2-or-more-dates-to-one-Master-Calendar-USERELATIONSH...

@ALeef Great Job..Only needs a SWITCH for the month names and set...

@RJ You can create a second Calendar or use the same with inactive relantionship & USERELANTIONSHIP.

Konstantinos Ioannou

@konstantinos : Why would you use a switch and type in all the names, rather than use the format function?  Is it a perfromance difference?

@RJ :  Check out http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Transitive-Relationships/m-p/8563#U8563 .  It's an interesting concept, and apparently having inactive relationships is fine - the software is still smart enough to filter right through.  It wasn't exactly what I ended up using, but that's because I wasn't using a slicer, I wanted a clustered column chart.

@ALeef Apologies..SWITCH is slower of course. To be honest I wasn't aware that FORMAT can return months and days due to always importing Date Table..

Thanks, always learning..

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.