Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bartjudo
Frequent Visitor

Position of datalabels (highest number above lowest number)

In one of the reports I made, a number of transactions is compared to the target number of transactions per month. For this I've used an area chart. For the current month, not the actual number of transactions, but a predicted number of transactions is shown. A little inconvenience however, is that when the target and actual/predicted number are close together, the datalabels do not always take the correct position (using auto position for the datalabels). For example in the image below within April 2022 the predicted number of transactions (798) is higher than the target of transactions (726), but in the graph the lowest number is shown above. The same problem occurs for January and February. I have tried different settings for the data labels (above, below, auto etc.), but only using the auto setting the datalabels are always shown, no matter the filters applied. I am wondering why Power BI does this and if there is a solution I've maybe missed?

Bartjudo_2-1649063172091.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Bartjudo , for each series (customize series) change label position, make it up for one series and down for another series, that can make some difference

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Bartjudo , for each series (customize series) change label position, make it up for one series and down for another series, that can make some difference

@amitchandak , thank you for your response! I've tried this but the problems really occur when the values get real close to each other. If the target is just a bit higher than the actual amount setting the target labels on above and the actual labels on under works perfectly, however when the actual amount is a tiny bit higher these settings cause the lower number (target) to be above the higher number (actual) again. Maybe this is an idea for a future update, where higher numbers in an area chart will be shown at the higher position? It's not really a problem for the report owners, just something they noticed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.