Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Absalon29
Helper III
Helper III

Portfolio Returns

• I have data covering three years of monthly returns starting in March 2015. 2016 is the only full year of data and  I can't work how to produce a table which has a partial year (2015), a full year (2016) and a year (2017) that requires a YTD calculation. The monthly NAV performance is calculated using (Current month's NAV - Previous Month NAV -1). The table also requires a cumulative total at year end - the cumulative total for the first year is calculated using the Dec 2015 NAV/Feb NAV 2015(the base)-1
  • The Data has to be arrange as per the diagram below with the monthly performance (Current Month NAV/ Previous Month NAV-1 for each monthly cell and a cumulative year to date figure for the year
  • In a full year the Yearly NAV is calculated as the closing NAV in Dec/Previous Dec's NAV-1

Jan

Feb

March

April

May

June

July

Aug

Sept

Oct

Nov

Dec

Year

• The first NAV is 31st March 2015 10,123.83, Feb is used as the base hence NAV = 10,000
  • In order to calculate 2015 NAV I need to divide Dec NAV (9613.70/10,000-1) = -3.86%
  • In 2016 I have a full year so the year end calculation would be Dec 2016 closing NAV 11,190.96/Dec 2015 Closing NAV 9613.70 - 1 = 16.41%
  • 2017 is also a partial year (the NAV runs up to Sept 2017) so the YTD calculation would be 11,949.31/11,190.96-1=6.78%
  • Attached is the monthly returns in excel https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiRs1BCuVWhM6EfOsWkw52AbDaq- 
  • Sample PBIX file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiRs1BCuVWhM6ElX82MVsTRvdPr5
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Absalon29,

You can try to use below formula to achieve your requirement:

Measrue:

Result =
VAR maxdate =
    MAXX (
        FILTER ( ALL ( EMCD ), YEAR ( [Date] ) = MAX ( DimDate[Year] ) ),
        [Date]
    )
VAR current_dec =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( EMCD ),
            FORMAT ( [Date], "yyyy/mm" ) = FORMAT ( maxdate, "yyyy/mm" )
        ),
        [Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV]
    )
VAR temp =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( EMCD ),
            FORMAT ( [Date], "yyyy/mm" )
                = FORMAT ( DATE ( YEAR ( maxdate ) - 1, MONTH ( maxdate ), 1 ), "yyyy/mm" )
        ),
    )
VAR previous_dec =
    IF (
        temp <> BLANK (),
        temp,
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            EMCD[Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV],
            EMCD[Date], MINX (
                FILTER ( ALL ( EMCD ), [Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV] <> BLANK () ),
                [Date]
            )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX ( [Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV] ) <> BLANK (),
        IF ( current_dec / previous_dec <> BLANK (), current_dec / previous_dec - 1 )
    )

11.PNG

Notice: if your data contains any privacy data, please do mask sensitive data before sharing.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Ashish thanks for your help. You have supplied a spreadsheet with the calculation which I already have. What I was looking to do was work out the syntax in Dax to reproduce the excel formula. Running the calculation in excel is straightforward, running it in Dax requires a lot more knowledge of the language eg the use of Earier, etc. I'm not there yet, but thanks for your help. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AMM
Frequent Visitor

I'm trying to adapt this code to a table which has a half dozen funds, so I tried adding a filter on the name of the funds, but I got this error:

Calculation error in measure 'AllMeasures'[Result]: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

So I modified code like this:

VAR maxdate =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (  
            FILTER(PortfolioPerf, PortfolioPerf[DisplayName] = "Growth"),
            YEAR ( [PerformanceDate] ) = MAX ( DateDim[Year] ) ),
        [PerformanceDate]
    )

Do I need to break the table up one per fund, or can I add a filter to this code like I'm attempting?

Hi,

Try this measure

VAR maxdate =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (  
            CALCULATETABLE(PortfolioPerf, PortfolioPerf[DisplayName] = "Growth"),
        [PerformanceDate]
    )

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

I tried changing from Filter to CalculateTable and I got the same errror:

Calculation error in measure 'AllMeasures'[OneYearRateForGrowth]: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

And I suppose I can share the whole thing, but it should look very similar I believe we have five stategies in this basket each can be distinquished by a unique name or number.

OneYearRateForGrowth = 
VAR maxdate =
    MAXX (
        FILTER (  
        [PerformanceDate]
    )
VAR current_dec =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            FORMAT ( [PerformanceDate], "yyyy/mm" ) = FORMAT ( maxdate, "yyyy/mm" )
        ),
        [CummulativeIndex]
    )
VAR temp =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            FORMAT ( [PerformanceDate], "yyyy/mm" )
        ),
        [CummulativeIndex]
    )
VAR previous_dec =
    IF (
        temp <> BLANK (),
        temp,
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            PortfolioPerf[CummulativeIndex],
            PortfolioPerf[PerformanceDate], MINX (
                FILTER ( CALCULATETABLE(PortfolioPerf, PortfolioPerf[DisplayName] = "Growth")
                        , [CummulativeIndex] <> BLANK () ),
                [PerformanceDate]
            )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX ( PortfolioPerf[CummulativeIndex] ) <> BLANK (),
    )

Thanks for the help, but this is kinda not priority number one, so I just quickly tried your code and I keep getting that error.

Thanks I will, my boss actually changed his mind, but yeah we have this basic problem but multiple return streams in the same table. So I thought I could break it up or filter. My DAX was never the best and probably is rusty, thanks a lot.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi @Absalon29,

You have started another thread with the same question.  I have answered your question in that thread.  Download my solution from here.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Ashish thanks for your help. You have supplied a spreadsheet with the calculation which I already have. What I was looking to do was work out the syntax in Dax to reproduce the excel formula. Running the calculation in excel is straightforward, running it in Dax requires a lot more knowledge of the language eg the use of Earier, etc. I'm not there yet, but thanks for your help. 

Hi,

I have solved the problem using only and only DAX i.e. PowerPivot in MS Excel.  Please check the file at that link.  This entire model can be taken to PowerBI desktop with just one click.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Absalon29,

You can try to use below formula to achieve your requirement:

Measrue:

Result =
VAR maxdate =
    MAXX (
        FILTER ( ALL ( EMCD ), YEAR ( [Date] ) = MAX ( DimDate[Year] ) ),
        [Date]
    )
VAR current_dec =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( EMCD ),
            FORMAT ( [Date], "yyyy/mm" ) = FORMAT ( maxdate, "yyyy/mm" )
        ),
    )
VAR temp =
    SUMX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( EMCD ),
            FORMAT ( [Date], "yyyy/mm" )
        ),
    )
VAR previous_dec =
    IF (
        temp <> BLANK (),
        temp,
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            EMCD[Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV],
            EMCD[Date], MINX (
                FILTER ( ALL ( EMCD ), [Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV] <> BLANK () ),
                [Date]
            )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX ( [Absalon EM Corporate Debt SICAV NAV] ) <> BLANK (),
    )

11.PNG

Notice: if your data contains any privacy data, please do mask sensitive data before sharing.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

What if the NAV column was based on a measure?

Is it possible to make the calculation?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.