Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JHob
Advocate I
Advocate I

Portfolio Model

Hi

I am modeling performance of stocks in a portfolio to their benchmark.  I have a master table with individual stocks and a portfolio table with the percentage of each individual stock.

I need to make comparisons of the portfolio weightings compared to the benchmark portfolioi weightings.

Should I create a separate table for the benchmarks or should I combine in the portfoliot table.  For example portfolio table if combined will be

PORTFOLIO1 Stock1 x%

PORTFOLIO1 Stock 2 y%

PORTFOLIO2 Stock1 xx%

PORTFOLIO2 Stock 2 yy%

PORTFOLIO2 Stock 3 zz%

BENCHMARK2 Stock 2 a%

BENCHMARK2 Stock 3 b%

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You need to have a Portfolio Table and Portfolio Details table to capture portfolio information, then you will need to have a benchmark and benchmark details table for Benchmark and then you need to find a way to link your Porftolio record with a corresponding benchmark record so you know which porfolios use what for benchmark.

this would be easiest, if i understand your problem correctly.. you could potentially have it all in two tables, summary and detail, but then you will need to have a flag in summary table to specify whehter it's a portfolio or benchmarck, and then add another column for benchmark ID, so you can link portfoloio data with benchmark data.  but that woud make DAX to do analysis a little bit more complicated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You need to have a Portfolio Table and Portfolio Details table to capture portfolio information, then you will need to have a benchmark and benchmark details table for Benchmark and then you need to find a way to link your Porftolio record with a corresponding benchmark record so you know which porfolios use what for benchmark.

this would be easiest, if i understand your problem correctly.. you could potentially have it all in two tables, summary and detail, but then you will need to have a flag in summary table to specify whehter it's a portfolio or benchmarck, and then add another column for benchmark ID, so you can link portfoloio data with benchmark data.  but that woud make DAX to do analysis a little bit more complicated.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I would combine it as you've shown.  That way, assuming you have a 1:Many from Stocks to Portfolios, you can have a measure like

Portfolio Value = SUMX(Portfolio, Portfolio[Percent] * RELATED(Stocks[Value]))

or something like that to compare portfolios.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.