Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matt22365
Resolver III
Resolver III

Portfolio Gantt Chart

Hi All

I am hoping for some advice

I am trying to create a portfolio report with data which comes from project online. I have tried to use some of the Gantt chart options but cannot get the view I need.

What I would like is a line per project which has the key tasks broken down and some KPIs built in

I have included a picture of the view I would like

Portfolio Gantt.JPG

Has anyone done something similar and can help me set it up?

Thanks in advance

Matt 

7 REPLIES 7
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Matt22365 

Could me provide me a sample data model like yours that may make it easier for me to understand your requirement?

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi @v-rzhou-msft 

The data is coming from Microsoft project online so im not sure how I can send sample data. Essentially you get a list of tasks with an identifier for the predeccesor, the duration of the task, the start and end date of the tasks

Thanks

Matt 

Hi @Matt22365 

I build a sample to have a test.

1.png

Due to you only have Start and End you need to calculate the Duration by End - Start.

Result:

2.png

The gantt chart will show task name in column and won't show values with the same task name in one row.

And we can't add icons or image in gantt chart directly.

I build a table/matrix visual and use conditonal format to show icon.

You may refer to blogs below.

Blog1: Use conditional formatting in tables

Blog2: Dynamically Display Images in Power BI

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.
You can vote up this idea for this function:Gantt chart conditional formatting
Or you can submit a new idea to improve the Power BI.
It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi @v-rzhou-msft 

Thanks for your help, I have managed to make a gantt chart like what you showed below, unfortunately I need to show the status of about 40 projects on 1 page so i need to have all the data on 1 line per project

I will vote for it

Thank you

Matt 

Hi Matt,

I realize this is a bit old at this point, but was curious if you had figured out a way to present your projects in a single line, as you had described?  I'm looking to do something similar.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi

Unfortunately I didnt find a way to do it through PBI, i ended up using a powerpoint add-in which turned out to be a better tool for Gantt chart views from project.

The downside is that it is not connected to PBI so I have 2 reports to generate rather than 1

Hi @Matt22365 

Could you mark the helpful reply as a solution? After the answer is marked, it is easier for other people to find this post, and other people can vote up idea as well. This feature can be realized faster.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.