Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kbwissi
Frequent Visitor

Populate column

I have two tables:

FactsVehicle:

FactsVehicle.png

and dimVehicle (below), which is joined to FactsVehicle by Vehicle ID. The dimVehicle table also has a column called Replacement Vehicle ID, which means Vehicle 1 will be replaced by Vehicle 9 over time:

dimVehicle.png

What I want to do is populate the missing values in FactsVehicle columns Total Number of Vehicles and Number of Vehicles to be the values for the replacement vehicle ID. For example, Vehicle ID 9 in FactsVehicles should have Vehicle ID 1's values for Total number of vehicles (78) and number of vehicles to convert (55).

How would I accomplish this?

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kbwissi,

I used a multi-step approach:

1. First, I created a new column in dimVehicle table for Total Number of Vehicles:

Total Number of Vehicles = LOOKUPVALUE(FactsVehicle[Total Number of Vehicles], dimVehicle[Vehicle ID], dimVehicle[Vehicle ID])

2. Next, I created a new column Replacement Vehicle ID in FactsVehicle:

Replacement Vehicle ID = LOOKUPVALUE(dimVehicle[Replacement Vehicle ID], dimVehicle[Vehicle ID], FactsVehicle[Vehicle ID])

3. Lastly created a new column for Total Number of Vehicles 2 (You can use this column in the table instead of Total Number of Vehicles)

Total Number of Vehicles 2 = if(ISBLANK(FactsVehicle[Total Number of Vehicles]), LOOKUPVALUE(dimVehicle[Total Number of Vehicles], dimVehicle[Replacement Vehicle ID], FactsVehicle[Vehicle ID]), FactsVehicle[Total Number of Vehicles])

This column uses the Total Number of Vehicles value for replacement ID where there is a NULL value in the original table.

There probably exists a better solution but this should give you the desired outcome.

Hope this helps.

Rep ID.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.