Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Populate Table by rows with same ID and distinct values in column from another table

Hello,

I am trying to create a new table that has unique IDs and populates a column depending on the distinct values from another table and can't quite figure it out. I have a SQL statement that displays all IDs that have 2 or more distinct values in another column and could invert it to get the rest, but I do not know how to populate a table in the fashion in my example.

Current data is structured in this format:

IDValue
A1
A1
A2
A1
B2
B2
B2

I am trying to create a new table with the information above to be viewed like this:

IDValue 1Value 2
AYY
BNY

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, that creates the little sample. Perhaps it would be better to do the following in the interface:

1. Create a dummy column with Custom Column. Give it the value 1

2. Pivot the Value column. That will create a column for each value in the column. Use the Dummy column, because it will disappear. 

3. Select all of the new columns and convert to True/False.

4. Keep all of the new columns selected and Replace Values: null with False.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - You could do something like the following in Power Query. 

Notes: The last 2 steps (#"Replaced Value" and #"Changed Type1") refer to the 2 columns, 1 and 2. If there are more values, it would also need to include those.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTJUitVBZxmhiTnBxTBYsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Value = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each 1),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Value", type text}}, "en-US"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Value", type text}}, "en-US")[Value]), "Value", "Custom", List.Sum),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Pivoted Column",{{"1", type logical}, {"2", type logical}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type1",null,false,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"1", "2"})
in
#"Replaced Value"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , thanks for the response.

If I'm pulling from a table that is already imported how do I maninuplate this line?

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTJUitVBZxmhiTnBxTBYsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Value = _t])

I replaced Table with the name of my table that was imported and it autocorrects it to #"TableName".FromRows....

and I get an error saying token comma expected after the table name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, that creates the little sample. Perhaps it would be better to do the following in the interface:

1. Create a dummy column with Custom Column. Give it the value 1

2. Pivot the Value column. That will create a column for each value in the column. Use the Dummy column, because it will disappear. 

3. Select all of the new columns and convert to True/False.

4. Keep all of the new columns selected and Replace Values: null with False.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thanks so much! I was trying to mess around with pivot columns earlier, but did not quite understand how it worked. Adding the extra column was the key! Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.