Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

supton
Helper I
Helper I

Poor Performance using Azure SQL Database and Direct Query

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced very poor performance using Direct Query on an Azure SQL Database. I have limited the number of rows that I am using in my queries but this doesnt seem to make much of a difference. Even with > 100 DTU's allocated in the Azure SQL Database, any query made from power BI pushes the DTU percentage to 100% and power BI still seems to process quite slowely. On my largest table, I have < 500 thousand rows and < 20 columns, which I don't see as an unreasonable amount. Most of the other tables have < 100 thousand. How can I improve performance? I realize that importing is the ideal situation for power BI, but I believe direct query to be more scalable in terms of storage; I previously ran everything importing but I had too many records to actually schedule a refresh and power BI would break. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@supton,

I am afraid that there is no way around this. Generally speaking, import models will be faster, and 500 thousand rows is not a large dataset, it is recommended that you use “Import” mode to import data to Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.