Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jankura
Helper I
Helper I

Pointers on displaying dataset refresh status in PBI report

Hi,

I'm looking for pointers on a requirement.

We have a web application which is developed in React & Node.js with Azure SQL database. It embeds few reports that are developed in Power BI. The refresh of dataset needs to be triggered from the application for which a logic app has been built.

The requirement is to show the status as In Progress (within the Power BI report) when the report dataset refresh is on going, something like below:-

jankura_0-1617129304875.jpeg

Perhaps one way would be to have this status maintaned and displayed in the host web application rather than in the Power BI report. This should simplify the design.

However if the status has to be in the report what is the best way to achieve this. Any pointers? 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jankura 

Per my understanding, it is impossible to display the In Progress status in a Power BI report when its related dataset is being refreshed. 

When a dataset refresh is ongoing, its related reports show the data from its previous refresh. Only when the new refresh is completed, the data on the reports will be updated automatically. So it is not able to change the data on the report when the dataset is being refreshed. 

See How capacities function section in What is Microsoft Power BI Premium? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

040502.jpg

Hope this helps.
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Kudoed Authors