Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mike_true80
Frequent Visitor

Plotting multiple date values on a reference axis

I work with datasets that have multiple date/time values per row for task and activity type tracking.

I'm trying to vizualize the data against a reference axis rather than having to chose just one of the columns to be the x-axis.

For example, assume I have 10 tasks.  Each has a start date and some of them have an end date:

Task Table.png

I want to know, for any particular time period, how many tasks have started and how many have finished eg I could summarize by month and calculate a 'to date' value:

Month Summary.png

And I can chart this type of data easily enough in Excel by building a reference date range to plot against:

Month Chart.pngChart.png

If I create measures in Power BI and try to plot them I have to select either the Start dates or End dates as the x-axis which results in one of my measures being plotted incorrectly:

Power BI Chart.png

Here, the first task with an End date (#1 ending on 1/5) isn't plotted at 1/5/2017 on the x-axis but at 1/8/2017 which is when the next 'Start' date falls.  Similarly the 2/10/2017 End for #2 doesn't appear at all, and the 2/12/2017 End for #3 appears at 2/21/2017 as total to date = 3.

I don't know if I can fix this by just changing my measures, but I figure I need to create some other refernce timeline to act as the x-axis.

Measures used:

YTDStart = CALCULATE ( COUNTX ( Tasks , [Start] ) , FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Tasks ) , [Start] <= MAX( [Start] ) ) )

YTDEnd = CALCULATE ( COUNTX ( Tasks , [End] ) , FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Tasks ) , [End] <= MAX ( [Start] ) ) )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mike_true80,

To calculate the count value of Start and End per month, you can create below measure:

StartPerMonth = CALCULATE(COUNTA('Table1'[Start]),FILTER(ALL(Table1), MONTH(Table1[Start])=MAX('calendar'[Month])))

EndPerMonth = CALCULATE(COUNTA('Table1'[End]),FILTER(ALL(Table1), MONTH(Table1[End])=MAX('calendar'[Month])))

To plot a line chart to display count value of Start and End for each day, the measures should be below:

StartPerDay = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Start]),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[Start]<=MAX('calendar'[Date])))

EndPerDay = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Start]),ISBLANK('Table1'[End])=FALSE(),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[End]<=MAX('calendar'[Date])))

Please check attached .pbix file.

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mike_true80,

To calculate the count value of Start and End per month, you can create below measure:

StartPerMonth = CALCULATE(COUNTA('Table1'[Start]),FILTER(ALL(Table1), MONTH(Table1[Start])=MAX('calendar'[Month])))

EndPerMonth = CALCULATE(COUNTA('Table1'[End]),FILTER(ALL(Table1), MONTH(Table1[End])=MAX('calendar'[Month])))

To plot a line chart to display count value of Start and End for each day, the measures should be below:

StartPerDay = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Start]),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[Start]<=MAX('calendar'[Date])))

EndPerDay = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Start]),ISBLANK('Table1'[End])=FALSE(),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[End]<=MAX('calendar'[Date])))

Please check attached .pbix file.

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.