Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ster_69

Plotting key dates of a project

Hi! Power BI New person here. Any advice welcomed relating to this problem. I have a range of data from excel relating to projects. Each project has a column for kick off date, planned end date and actual end date. I want to show graphically via the desktop the journey of each project. I was thinking I could use a line graph but I dont seem to get the view I want.

There could be a lot of projects so I thought I'd look to filter them by their statuses (red, amber, green) to have less on a page.

Plus when I try it keeps putting the count of the date field in not the actual date.

I've checked the date fields in power bi and they are proper date fields.

Any advice or pointing to an existing visualisation for inspiration gratefully received. 

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ster_69 In my opinion scatter plot would best suit your requirement as you can put projects and dates along axis. Also check out custom visuals here for powerbi. There are few visuals that provide time based analysis such as Timebrush,  Pulsechart (check out this one particularly), Timeline and others. For line visual it gives you count because you would have put date fields on 'Values' section of the visual and that is why you need a visual that can provide you time based analysis by project.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.