Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Back2Basics
Helper IV
Helper IV

Plot stock level of workload

Hi

I have a table with 'Date received' and 'End Date' columns.

An item is 'Active' when there is a date received but no end date. Once an end date has been entered it si no longer active.

What I would like to do is plot a graph to show how many active rows there are over time. So the data would look something like this:

Date ReceivedEnd Date
01/04/201701/05/2017
01/04/201701/06/2017
01/04/2017 
01/04/201701/06/2017
04/04/201701/05/2017
04/04/201701/08/2017
04/04/2017 
01/05/2017 
01/05/2017 
01/05/201701/08/2017
01/05/2017

01/10/2017

MonthCount of Active
Apr11
May9
Jun7
Jul7
Aug5
Sep5
Oct4

I can do this fr the current place in time, but I am struggling to make it work to plot a graph or to find the stock levels on any given date.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of creating a calculated column, I would create a column in Query Editor; it will compress much better.

Go to Add Column in QE's ribbon, and Add Conditional Column

if [End Date] equals null then 0 else 1

Click OK.

the formula bar will now show this:

Table.AddColumn(<the step immediately before>, "Is Active", each if [End Date] = null then "0" else "1")

Remove the ""s around the 0 and the 1, like this:

Table.AddColumn(<the step immediately before>, "Is Active", each if [End Date] = null then 0 else 1)

Now you can create a measure

[Number of Active] = SUM(Table[Is Active])

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Here's another option too:  

0:  Add an Index column for counting later:

Capture2.PNG

1. Add a new Custom Column in Query Editor to Insert all the dates between DateReceived to (EndDate or TODAY if EndDate is blank)

{Number.From([DateReceived])..Number.From(
if [EndDate] is null
then Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())
else [EndDate]
)}

2.  Expand the list to show all dates between your Date Received and Endate (or Today).  Format the new data as Dates

(Index column was cut off in the screen shot)

Capture.PNG

3. Here's how it shoudl ook:

Capture3.PNG

4:   Gragh your data with DateList (Month) as the Axis and DISTINCT COUNT of Index as your Values.

Capture5.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Hi @fhill

I have tried to do as you suggested but I can't get there. I have used the following expression:

{Number.From([nrw_datereceived])..Number.From(if[End Date] is null then Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())else [End Date])}

as suggested, but every time I add it i'm asked to put in credentials. I do that as I normally would to refresh my data, but it gets to the end and then says that I don't have permission.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here? I can't even view the table, once I've added the expression for the column, to expand it.

Are you able to insert the index column, or does that fail as well?  Sounds like you may need a more DAX driven solution than Power Query....  FOrrest

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

I could add the index column okay, it worked but I ended up taking it out as I have another column with a enique identifier so figured I could sue that.

@fhillYour sign off completely threw me... as that is also my surname Smiley LOL

nickchobotar
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

@Back2Basics

I would add a calculated column to your table and create a month value

Month = MONTH(Table1[Date Received])

and for logic I would write something like this.

Count of Active =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( Table1 ),
    FILTER (
        Table1,
        NOT ISBLANK ( Table1[Date Received] ) && ISBLANK ( Table1[End Date] )
    )
)

image.png

image.png

Sorry @nickchobotar but this doesn't work. The date format you've used is the america format, i've been using European (DD/MM/YYY) and I think it would show why it didn't work if that was fixed with what you've done.

It does provide the active rows for the current moment in time, but it doesn't work for long term viewing how many where 'active' during each month.

@Anonymous a similar problem with your solution as well. It would only give me the active rows on today. I wouldn't be able to use this to plot previous months total active numbers.

@Back2Basics

Date format should not make any difference. If you want to show active duration I would recommend to use SQLBI pattern for this

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/analyzing-events-with-a-duration-in-dax/

It also appears you cannot add an index field in your power query, so this solution has to be a pure DAX one.

Basically, we need to create a separate table with continuous daily duration of your activity,  set an unique index and take a distinct count in our DAX measure.

Here is the link for the model

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsgNvkRwqGC7gwrpwX-L7WBuS5y9

Since you cannot work in Power Query let's try to create your index column in DAX

Index1 = 
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Dated Received]),
    FILTER(
        Table1,
        Table1[Dated Received] <= EARLIER(Table1[Dated Received])
    )
)

It's very important index values are unique, if you have similar Dates Received I would suggest you bring additional field into the model to create unique Index along with current field (like a composite unique key) or create the index on the data source side.

Once Index is created, let's create second Index only for Active values

Index2 = 
IF(ISBLANK(Table1[End Date]), Table1[Index1], BLANK())

image.png

Now let's create our transformed table. In my sample model I called it Active

Active = 
FILTER (
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        GENERATE (
            Table1,
            FILTER (
                ALLNOBLANKROW ( 'DimDate' ),
                DimDate[Date] >= Table1[Dated Received]
                    && DimDate[Date] <= TODAY ()
            )
        ),
        "Date", [Date],
        "Index2", [Index2]
    ),
    [Index2] > 0
)

image.png

The model will look like this ( you can also hide Active table )

image.png

Now you can write the DAX measure in your report view.

Count of Active = DISTINCTCOUNT(Active[Index2])

image.png

N -

Thanks you so much for the response @nickchobotar

I have finally had chance to try it out, but unfortunately it hasn't quite worked for me. All of the columns and measures appears to go through without a problem but when I create the graph as suggested I just get each month with the same number of 'active'.

Also, lookint at your example i'm not sure it is really showing what I am after. what I would like to see if the number of applications that WERE active in January. what I think your graph shows is the number of applications received in January that are still active.

So your graph should display 7 for Janaury and 12 for February [4 received none ended] but then 15 for March [4 received by 1 ended]

Thank you again, but not sure i'm going to achieve what I want to without adding in loads of columns. I was thining I could add a column for each month and to calculate the 'active' based on the dates, maybe I can do this as a sepeteate table though?

So if I'm reading your post right, you're wanting for, say, January, anything that has a received date in January or earlier, but at that time no end date? If that's the case, then it's equivalent to something having either no end date, or an end date in February or later, so you could try making calculated columns that converts both dates into year-month format (i.e. this month is 201710), converts your blanks in the end date to some large number, do the same on your date table, then do some calculation where for anything in your date table, it counts the number of rows where the received date is <= the date table value, but the end date is > the date table value

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Back2Basics

Correct, the SUM(Table[Is Active]) will just give you active rows on today.  But if you put Calendar[Month] column in your visual, you should get back all of the products that were active for the month.

Sorry @Anonymous, how do I add a calendar month to a visual?

Not quite thinking straight as this has been driving me slightly insane

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.