Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HarryS
Helper I
Helper I

Plot running totals to same start date/period

Hello everyone,

The situation is that the company I am working for has employees who each complete a number of jobs (of various values) each day. I have compiled a straightforward set of running total measures to demonstrate which employees hit the ground running so to speak and which took longer. However, it is very difficult to do a direct comparison as pretty much everyone started on different dates, sometimes years apart. I am looking to create something like a 'first 3 months' comparison of all employees, but obviously anything I do currently doesn't work as it is calculating and therefore plotting the graphs based on date. 

Is there a way to do this, say by turning each day worked for each employee into 1, 2, 3 etc. and then plotting a running total against that?

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@HarryS  Please share the sample data and expected output.

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Hi, thanks for responding.

Data looks like this essentially (simplified):

DateJob numberJob valueEmployee
01/01110Dave
01/01212Dave
02/01310Gary
04/01425Ben
04/01515Dave
04/01620Dave

From this, we have simple running totals of each employee:
Value running total in Date =
CALCULATE(
SUM('Cleans'[Value]),
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('Date'[Date]),
ISONORAFTER('Date'[Date], MAX('Date'[Date]), DESC)
)
)

Which looks like this (untidy but you get the idea):

Running totals.PNG

What we would like to do is compare each employee as if they started on the same day. We basically want to know what an average 'first 3 months' looks like so we can set appropriate targets and tailor training.

I hope this makes sense.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HarryS , 

I am not clear about your requirement, if possible could you please explain the "first 3 month" to me (rolling value , or first 3 month of each customers or other thing)? And could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data )? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I will try and make it more clear. It doesn't really matter about running total or some other way of measuring performance, because the important thing is displaying the data as if the employees started work on the same day. Imagine that we have three employees - one started the job in March, one in May, and one in June. What we want to do is compare their first three months against one another directly. However, if you plot their sales data (for example), then the first employee's first three months would run March, April, May, the second's May, June, July and the third's June, July, August, and you won't be able to compare them directly against one another without creating separate graphs. What we would like is to produce a graph where all employee's 'start dates' are the same, and then we can compare how quickly they began to hit target etc.

So the expected output would be a line graph, with running total or weekly average for example, but where all employees' lines start at the same point on the X axis (regardless of what date they actually started at the company).

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HarryS ,

I am not sure whether this is what you want, you could refer to my sample for details , and if this is not waht you want, please correct me.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Zoe Zhi,

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Unfortunately, it's not what I'm after. I would like all of the employees to be plotted on the graph, starting from the same point. So even if one doesn't start until two months after the other, we can view them side by side as if they started on the same day. A good analogy might be comparing football players from different eras, say Paul Scholes and Glenn Hoddle. Even though they didn't play at the same time, you could compare their careers side by side by starting at the first game for each, seeing how many goals they scored in their first season etc. It's really just the visualisation of this we need, so possibly a measure for giving each employee an ascending number per job they complete would work?

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HarryS , 

If possible, could you please inform me your expected output?

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.