Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jpf5046
Helper I
Helper I

Plot_ly is now (3/2017) on the list for R packages in Power BI - I cannot get it to work.

According to this post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-r-visuals/ there are several new packages that work in Power BI.  

I loaded the iris dataset by using the R connection in Power BI then writing:

iris <- iris

ggplot iris power bi.PNG

ggplot works fine. 

plot_ly iris power bi.PNG

plot_ly does not.

I cannot get plot_ly to work. Has anyone had success with any of the new packages from the recent announcement? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jpf5046,

No, they're going to announce this limitation of using plot_ly lib officially(as there is no such a article/blog that has announced it currently).Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jpf5046,

Could you click the "See details" on the error visual to see the detailed error message, and post it here?Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft 

Here is the error screen: 

error in power bi for R plot_ly.PNG

I can run this plot in Rstudio. The code it does result in a visual. 

Hi @jpf5046,

I have confirmed with Product Team that the ployly lib is supported as part of HTML support for R powered Custom Visuals only, not R Visuals in general currently. And they're going to announce this in a couple of weeks officially.Smiley Happy

Regards

They are going to announce that R Visuals will be able to handle plot_ly lib in a week or two? 

Hi @jpf5046,

No, they're going to announce this limitation of using plot_ly lib officially(as there is no such a article/blog that has announced it currently).Smiley Happy

Regards

This is related to this post here.

I cannot get the supported R packages to work. The list of supported packages is here

I can get ggplot to work:

ggplot iris power bi.PNG

I cannot get plot_ly to work:

plot_ly iris power bi.PNG

The time to take to run is the only possible explination -- The polt_ly code takes ~5 seconds on my desktop in Rstudio. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.