Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lumegu
Frequent Visitor

Plot count of two different date sets on single date axis

Dear community,

I have a question which I think should be easy to solve, but I simply can't think of / find a smart solution so far.

I have the following dataset:

SubjectPlanned dateDate ready
Document 11-2-20201-2-2020
Document 21-5-20201-8-2020
Document 31-2-20201-5-2021
Document 41-8-2020 
Document 51-5-20211-5-2021
Document 61-2-20211-2-2021
Document 71-2-20211-5-2021
Document 81-11-20201-11-2020
Document 91-11-2021 
Document 101-2-20201-5-2021

What I would like to visualize is very simple: a bar chart in which is shown how many documents have been planned for review every quarter (planned date) and how many have been finished (date ready) in that quarter. However, if I pick either one of the date columns as the x-axis the result is columns of equal hight, I somehow need a "neutral" date axis to show the count of the planned and ready amounts per quarter.

Is it possible to do this with a measure or should I maybe create a helping table?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

First, create a calendar table as the X axis of bar chart .

Then create measures like below:

planned_ = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Subject]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Planned date]<=MAX('Table 2'[Date])&&'Table'[Planned date]>=MIN('Table 2'[Date])))
ready = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Subject]),FILTER('Table',NOT(ISBLANK('Table'[Date ready]))&&'Table'[Date ready]<=MAX('Table 2'[Date])&&'Table'[Date ready]>=MIN('Table 2'[Date])))

Vlianlmsft_0-1632724659690.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

First, create a calendar table as the X axis of bar chart .

Then create measures like below:

planned_ = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Subject]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Planned date]<=MAX('Table 2'[Date])&&'Table'[Planned date]>=MIN('Table 2'[Date])))
ready = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Subject]),FILTER('Table',NOT(ISBLANK('Table'[Date ready]))&&'Table'[Date ready]<=MAX('Table 2'[Date])&&'Table'[Date ready]>=MIN('Table 2'[Date])))

Vlianlmsft_0-1632724659690.png

Brilliant, this was exactly what I was looking for. Only remaining question will be how to manage interactions if you add a table as a visual. How do you manage relations with Table 1 and table 2 in this case, you have to pick a column from table 1 (planned or ready) to connect with date in table 2. Which than makes it impossible to click on only the planned or a ready column in the bar chart, but you always open both against the chosen relationship.

Hope the explanation above makes sense, if not please let me know!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Lumegu , You need to create a common date table and join with both dates. You can use userelationship wo activate inactive relationship

refer smiliar example

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.