Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

markus_zhang
Advocate III
Advocate III

Please vote on this idea if you dislike random refreshing

I figured that Power BI Desktop is programmed in a way that maximum possible number of refreshing is guaranteed. 

For example I created a new measure without inserting it the report, and when I come back to the Report page all visuals start refreshing. It almost feels like "Hey you know what, I'm too lazy to check if this action brings change to X, so maybe just refresh ABCD....XYZ for whatever action so at least I don't get blamed for potentially losing user actioins".

For a big report that takes a while to load, this is the killer for productivity. Many reports are NOT created for presentation but for research, because Excel cannot take large dataset and PowerPivot is buggy, so Power BI basically serves as an enhanced Excel. These reports typically take 5 minutes or even more to refresh (consider a report with a lot of matrices components), and half of the time I have to wait for these accidental refresh to finish.

From a designer's view, Power BI desktop should maintain MINIMUM refresh i.e. include a manual refresh option.

If you think this should be improved, please vote here. I'm not the original author but this one already got 5 votes and is basically asking the same thing:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20228596-pause-auto-refresh

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @markus_zhang ,

AFAIK, measures recalculated every time row/visual contents changed. If you mean disable measure recalculation when refresh progressing for reduce workflow and increase refresh performance?

If this is a case, current power bi allow your to enable apply button on slicer/filter to confirm their effect and interaction, but it not support do this on measure.

16.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.