Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BlueTiger
Helper I
Helper I

Please help me recreate this bar chart

I tried all Friday to make what should be a simple bar chart, but I am just not succeeding, please help me.

I want to recreate the following bar chart which I found on a YouTube video of a Power BI report.

Balance by Overdue Group

I am just using fake data at the moment to create a mockup of what reports we can create.

The best I can get from Power BI is the following using a Clustered Bar Chart, I had to create a blank measure = 0 to get a space which I put between each bar, but only appears between the 1st and 2nd for some reason. Plus I can't get the bars to take up the whole vertical space, they just sit in the middle with a massive gap at the top and bottom. Also I can't get the text to display on the left. What am I doing wrong?

My attempt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BlueTiger

You need to put all groupings into one field.

You have them on separate fields.

Either create a new column with the groupings using DAX formulas or do it using Power Query

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BlueTiger

Make sure that axis and value section under Visualizations Pane have a field.

Image below

Axis will have the grouping

image.png

Thanks,

I did try that, but it just goes weird like below.

BalanceByOverDueGroup_Attempt2.PNG

Those values are Sums and the data I created randomly:

BalanceByOverDueGroup_Data.PNG

@BlueTiger

You need to put all groupings into one field.

You have them on separate fields.

Either create a new column with the groupings using DAX formulas or do it using Power Query

Thanks for that. I have it working now.

BalanceByOverDueGroup_Attempt3.PNG

I did that by creating a new sheet in excel and summarizing the data.

BalanceByOverDueGroup_Data2.PNG

The only problem is that I was hoping to be able to double click on one of the bars and be able to see a table of the clients sorted by the highest debt by that age. Currently that doesn't work, but if I was to implement it the way you said using Power Query or DAX, would that work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlueTiger wrote:

The only problem is that I was hoping to be able to double click on one of the bars and be able to see a table of the clients sorted by the highest debt by that age. 

Why not create a drill through report? Instead of double clicking, you right click and choose the report build to show the detail you need.

@BlueTiger

Unfortunately this dynamic approach is not supported on PowerBI.

e.g. clicking on the bar and directing you to another object or report.

You can also create an idea on PowerBI

Thanks for your help. It's good to know not to waste my time trying that. Perhaps I will do another item showing the top 10 in a matrix and I can use this bar chart as a filter for it.

jeseng
Helper II
Helper II

Drag the value from Legend to Axis?

jeseng
Helper II
Helper II

Try to drag the value from Legend to Axis?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.