Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help. Revenue per sqm

Hi all, 

I have a set of stores which I use as a mapping key. These set of stores will be filtered into either Tier 1 or Tier 2 stores. I have the revenue of each store by month and the size of each store in the table as well. 

Is there anyway I can calculate this using a calculated column so that when I add in a filter and group sums tgt, the aggregated revenue/sqm is the correct amount? 

Basically I just want to calculate an revenue/sqm which I can put in my pivot table. Thanks

Please bear in mind that my data is by month, but I'm analysing by year so if I sum up the size column, it gives me a value too big, but if i use average, it gives me a value too small. 

My head is about to explode trying to figure this out so I'd appreicate any help whatsoever. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh! You have a Groups/Super Groups problem on your hands. So in your size measure, you are going to need to use SUMMARIZE to get the AVERAGE of each individual store (which will give you the actual store size) in the group and then just use SUM to SUM the AVERAGE of the sizes. See this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

Sorry, none of that made any sense until you mentioned your related table for grouping.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks smoupre, works like a charm. Dont know why I can't accept your response as a solution but I'll mark it once I get home with my home computer!

Awesome! Glad we got there!!

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data is like:

A jan 1000 500
A feb 1000 700
B jan 2000 600
B feb 2000 800
C jan 2500 1000
C feb 2500 900

Size never changes across months, but revenue will.
I have relationships on the store which will group them in my pivot, so for example A and B will be tier 1 location, so I need the average to kind of "average" the unique store sizes then Sum the sizes of each unique store.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Your question is not clear.  Based on the data you share, show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Oh! You have a Groups/Super Groups problem on your hands. So in your size measure, you are going to need to use SUMMARIZE to get the AVERAGE of each individual store (which will give you the actual store size) in the group and then just use SUM to SUM the AVERAGE of the sizes. See this article:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

Sorry, none of that made any sense until you mentioned your related table for grouping.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Does the square meter of you store change every month? Because if you had data like:

Store,Revenue,SQM,Month,Year

Store1,$1000,10,1,2018

Store1,$2000,10,2,2018

If the square meters of the store is the same then if you take the average of it, you should get the square meters of the store regardless of how you aggregate. Or just use MAX or MIN? Need to see data.

Latest book!:

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Can you show us what your data/tables looks like?

Or provide a sample PBIX?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.