Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tiago
Helper I
Helper I

[Please HELP] Dax formula to summarize not working.

Hi there,

I am fairly new no DAX language and I am trying to learn a bit.

I’ve built a table with the following sales data: Product ID, Product Description, Sold Items, Stock. I am filtering just to check the products sold on the past 10 days, so I can see what the best sellers are and their current stock.

I am using 3 SQL tables for this (I’am using direct query to extract the data, so I cannot build a new table).

The 3 tables are.

ESTOQUE_PRODUTO (It contains the stock of all products)
LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO (It has all sold products)
PRODUTOS (It has the product id description)

All tables are correctly related.

My problem is that the PRODUCT ID is not unique. A same product ID can repeat it self because there are different colors. In this Table I wanted to summarize the Product ID.

At the moment I have something like this
Produto = ProductID
Descrição = Description
Venda = Sales
Estoque = Stock

As you can notice the product 21804075 is showing multiple times because it has multiple colors. I wanted for it to show on this table as a single unique value with all sales data and stock aggregated.

Capturar.PNG

So the correct output for this item should be:

Produto          Descrição         Venda        Estoque
21804075         Blusa               150             15

I’ve tried to create a new measure on the LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO table to sum all products sales with the same product id)

Total Sales =
SUMMARIZE(LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO,
LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO[PRODUTO],
"Total Sales",
SUM(LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO[QTDE])
)

But I get an error:
The expression references several columns. You can not convert multiple columns to a scalar value.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve researched a lot before creating this post. I saw that some people create a new table in order to aggragate all data but since I use direct query, I cannot create a new table.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Regards,
Tiago

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tiago,

Did you load huge number of data into desktop? This might cause memory issue when applying something complex. Please refer to suggestion mentioned in this thread to see if it works in your scenario.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tiago,

As SUMMARIZE() function returns a table rather than a scalar value, you cannot directly use it to calculate total values in a measure.

Please try this measure:

Total Sales =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO[QTDE] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO, LOJA_VENDA_PRODUTO[PRODUTO] )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yuliana Gu,

Hi @tiago,

Did you load huge number of data into desktop? This might cause memory issue when applying something complex. Please refer to suggestion mentioned in this thread to see if it works in your scenario.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

tiago
Helper I
Helper I

Bump! Please help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.