Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Planner to Power BI via Flow

Hello,

I am currently trying to get some information about projects from Planner into Power BI. As there sadly is no direct connection I wanted to use Flow.

I currently use the following flow:

PlannerFlow.JPG

Problem here is, that it does not only insert newly added tasks to the dataset but everyone every time a new task is created. Is there a workaround for this? Maybe using an Excel list to compare the listed tasks and filtering them before inserting them into Power BI?

Thanks for help Smiley Happy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello @maxze,

So if you want to add task to PowerBI from Planner, use as second action Get a task.

Planner.jpg

P.

View solution in original post

Hi @maxze,

I agree with @vecerpa's suggestions and methods. If you want to add information about the newly created task to Power BI Dataset, you only need to get the contents of this one task.

You could configure Add rows to a dataset directly using the Dynamic content of the trigger output, or configure the Get a task action according to @vecerpa method first.

In addition, if you want to add information about the task assigned to yourself to the Dataset, you could use "When a task is assigned to me" as the trigger.

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
takolota
Frequent Visitor

@v-bacao-msft @vecerpa 

You may be able to avoid some of this complexity if you use SharePoint templates that mimic Planner features:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Project-Tracker-SharePoint-and-Teams/td-...

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @maxze,

First of all I would like to understand what are you trying to achieve?

You are trigerring Flow when new task is added to Planner and then you are listing all tasks within this Planner and creating new items in PowerBI.

So this means that each time there is new task whole list of tasks that are in Planner is added to PowerBI.

P.

Hi,

I want to integrate an status overview of tasks like the one available in the "Charts"-section, but in a Power BI report. I thought I could use data like Date created, Date finished, Date due and Date started to determine whether a task has not been started, is in progress, is leate or is completed.

What you describe is my problem. I would like to have Flow add the one new project to the dataset when it is created.

Hi @maxze,

I agree with @vecerpa's suggestions and methods. If you want to add information about the newly created task to Power BI Dataset, you only need to get the contents of this one task.

You could configure Add rows to a dataset directly using the Dynamic content of the trigger output, or configure the Get a task action according to @vecerpa method first.

In addition, if you want to add information about the task assigned to yourself to the Dataset, you could use "When a task is assigned to me" as the trigger.

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

Thank you very much to both of you! A shame I did not think of that myself.

Now there just needs to be an action to update rows in the dataset, when a task in Planner is changed.

Regards

Hello @maxze ,

did you get this ready? I'm also doing integration between Planner and Power Bi. My problem is that, I can't get the priority or labels to my excel table which I have connected to Power BI. 

Do you have a solution for how to get the priority or labels from planner with flow?

Hello @maxze,

So if you want to add task to PowerBI from Planner, use as second action Get a task.

Planner.jpg

P.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors