Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paulien1989
Advocate II
Advocate II

Pivoting problem: "There were too many elements in the enumeration to complete the operation"

Hi! And help!

In a Query I unpivoted several columns, transformed them, and then tried to pivot two other columns. I end up with 68 errors (of 673 rows) saying: "There were too many elements in the enumeration to complete the operation" 

I kind of get why but I'm looking for the solution/work around.

What I do is the following:
- I have loaded a table from Google Analytics containing date, page and pageviews. Page contains the URLs for filtercriteria selected during a search. For instance, a URL can be /facets/pancakes,chocolate,quickcook,healthy
- First I extracted the URL after /facet/, leaving only the search criteria (checkboxes) sepertated by comma's
- Then I split the columns on the comma, ending up with columns Criteria.1, Criteria.2, Criteria.3 and Criteria.4
- Then I unpivoted these columns so that all criteria end up in one single column called "Criteria"
- Then I created a calculated column named "Category" and did rules like "When Criteria contains pancakes then Food", "When Criteria contains chocolate then Food", "When Criteria contains quickcook then "Tempo Cooking", else "Healthiness category"

unpivoted.PNG
- Then I tried to re-pivot the columns Criteria and Category again to create one column per category (so 3 of them) and their values either being null or filled in. When I do this, 68 rows return errors:

repivoted.PNG

This basically was my solution to structurize the used search criteria on the row of the URL+date (instead of the criteria being in one string with no absolute order). But of course, it's not copying rows when there's more than 1 value to a category. Which I do want it to do, so ideally the columns would look like this:

ideal.PNG

Anyone know how?

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi 

After testing, I can't change the dataset to the last one, I would recommend you to structure the dataset before importing to Power BI.

Best Regards

Maggie

What do you mean by that?

I can't do much about the data before importing, because it's from google analytics, and basically what you see is what you get.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.