Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Razorbx13
Post Patron
Post Patron

Pivoting Columns

I have a table with an Custom Field ID and a Custom Value field which is actually a text field.  I have another field that is a Client ID.  A single client can have more than one row of various Custom Field IDs.  What I want to do is pivot the table to have ONE ROW per Client ID with each individual Custom Field becoming a column so that I can merge it with a Client File and bring in all their custom fields.  An example of what I am trying to do is below.  When I use the basic Pivot command I get a "value" of "1" in the field where I actually want the text field.  Any help would be appreciated.

Current Table Layout

Custom Field ID         Custom Field Value      Client ID

106                             A                                   13456

107                             CAS                               13456

108                             SSFT                              13456

What I want

Client ID     106        107        108        

13456           A          CAS       SSFT        

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Razorbx13 

As mentioned by @edhans , in advanced options, you can select "Don't Aggregate."

10.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Razorbx13 

As mentioned by @edhans , in advanced options, you can select "Don't Aggregate."

10.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

So I do get it to work with the "Don't Aggregate" option, but I still end up with multiple rows for the Client ID, then Columns of 106, 107, 108.  I just now get NULLS in in the Columns that do not have data.  Am I doing something wrong to whereby I cannot get just a single row for a client with the all the columns associated with the ID in one row, whether NULL or not?  Something like below.  Once done, the column headings of 106, 107 and 108 are appropriately renamed.

Client ID     106       107        108

13456         A          CAS        SSFT

Never mind, got your solution to work.  Thanks!

edhans
Super User
Super User

CLick on the Gear icon for the Pivot Column step in Power Query, then expand Advanced options, and tell it "Don't Aggregate."

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.