Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan031581
Regular Visitor

Pivot table functionality

This is an old office xp web component.  You can collapse/expand every hierarchy or attribute to analyze data using the buttons in the table.  I'm looking for something similar such as Excel or Power BI, but none of them are fitting our needs.  Power BI's matrix table is clunky.  You have to click buttons not even in the table (top right) to expand/collapse and you can only expand/collapse the entire dimension and not just one attribute you're trying to analyze further like I can below in the office xp web component.  Has anyone seen anything close to the functionality of this archaic technology?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@phanibhushan tabular is fine but SSAS MD doesn't have that functionality.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ryan031581 on format pane, turn on +/- for matrix and you will get more or less the same experience

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I don't see it in the July update

Capture1.PNG

@ryan031581 what version you are using? It came out in nov 2018

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2018-feature-summary/#expandColla...

I just got the latest version and it's not there.

Version: 2.71.5523.941 64-bit (July 2019)

@ryan031581 make sure you are using matrix visual.

image.png

I found out it's not available with connections to SSAS.  Microsoft, please get it working!

Thanks for your help.

@ryan031581 that was going to be my next question but you already figured it out. Anyhow. I guess this is somethig you want to put on ideas forum if doesn't exists already.

I have Azure Analysis Services as my data source and I do see the +/- option under row headers.

Is this expected?

@phanibhushan tabular is fine but SSAS MD doesn't have that functionality.

Thanks for information.

I am 

Capture2.png

Thanks, I'll have to check to see if that's a new feature.  I'm not seeing it in the version for web server.

Version: 2.65.5313.1562 64-bit (January 2019)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.