Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pivot table as a source table

Hello,

I am new to the DAX and will need some support by you. The problem I want to solve is described on the picture attached.

Thank you in advance.calls distribution.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create the following table:

DistinctCount = GENERATESERIES(0; 200; 1)

The second argument can be change to the maximum value you  want, it doesnt matter the number since the next measure will filter out this table.

Create the following measure:

User Count histogram=
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            SUMMARIZE ( Table1; Table1[Users]; "CountOfUsers"; COUNT ( Table1[Users] ) );
            [CountOfUsers] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'DistinctCount'[DistinctCount] )
        )
    )
)

Now use the column of DistinctCount  table on your X-Axis and the measure on your values this will allow you to have slicers on dates and on users.

Be aware that you can define if the values without data are viewed in the X-Axis changing from categorical to continuous on the options of the visual

Check PBIX file attach.

This solution is based on this blog post from PowerPivot(Pro).

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

To my understandi you want to create a new table using DAX that gets distinct values for names and the count of total calls correct?

Try this code to do a new table:

Table =
CALCULATETABLE (
    SUMMARIZE ( ALL ( Table[Indv Name] ); Table[Indv Name]; "TotalCalls"; COUNT ( Table[Indv Name] ) )
)

Be aware that this new table does not have in consideration any other filters like time or something similar to interact with the rest of the report, so if you for example do a slicer for time it will not change the results of this table

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MFelix,

You are right that this way I will not have time filtering this way will sum all calls for all periods for this for this Indv Name.

I would like to assign the total calls for each distinct Indv Name for the selected period of time. When I select for example 01.2019 to 03.2019, I would like to see column with Indv Name (distinct) and its total calls calculated based on this.

The way PowerBI doing it like pivot table in excel is what I need to group by distinct Indv Name and its total calls from the main table.

In raw data for on each date have Indv Name (repeated) and TotalCall column which is always 1 as value in the cell.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create the following table:

DistinctCount = GENERATESERIES(0; 200; 1)

The second argument can be change to the maximum value you  want, it doesnt matter the number since the next measure will filter out this table.

Create the following measure:

User Count histogram=
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            SUMMARIZE ( Table1; Table1[Users]; "CountOfUsers"; COUNT ( Table1[Users] ) );
        )
    )
)

Now use the column of DistinctCount  table on your X-Axis and the measure on your values this will allow you to have slicers on dates and on users.

Be aware that you can define if the values without data are viewed in the X-Axis changing from categorical to continuous on the options of the visual

Check PBIX file attach.

This solution is based on this blog post from PowerPivot(Pro).

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix 

Thank you so much for your help. It is working and it's great.  I made some changes to meet my data requerements. Here is the sample DAX:

# of CustomersX =
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS (
FILTER (
SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[CustomerID], "CountOfUsers", DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[CallsID]),

)
)
)+0

I put +0 at the end to start the line from 0 on x-axis.

Thank you again.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Good I could put you to the rigth track.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.