Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PeterJansen2
Frequent Visitor

Pivot problem and mixed data

Hi,

I have a brainbuster (for me)

I have a table which I want to Pivot. All content is Text.

Pic1Pic1

I would like to Pivot the table to get the following result:

Pic2Pic2

This presents me with the following problems:

1) Pivot wont work because I have multiple rows with same EmplID and Code.

2) To solve that I thought of grouping, summerizing code 1000 and summerize code 2000. but that doesn't work because its is Text.

3) Converting Text to Numeric works only for the 1000 and 2000 code, which is all I need, but the other codes will present an error.

I think it I need multiple steps to solve this?

Split the Content column? (how?)

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PeterJansen2,

3) Converting Text to Numeric works only for the 1000 and 2000 code, which is all I need, but the other codes will present an error.

If the other codes is not needed/necessary, you can replace the error values with null or 0(or any other values you want to show) after Converting Text to Numeric. Then you should be able use the Pivot option get your expected result. Smiley Happy

replceErrrors.PNGreplceErrrors2.PNG

Final result:

r1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PeterJansen2,

If the other codes is not needed/necessary, you can replace the error values with null or 0(or any other values you want to show) after Converting Text to Numeric. Then you should be able use the Pivot option get your expected result. Smiley Happy

replceErrrors.PNGreplceErrrors2.PNG

Final result:

r1.PNG

Regards

chotu27
Post Patron
Post Patron

@PeterJansen2Use matrix Visual as below. will this work?Content.PNG

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know, a visual won't do the trick. 

I need the pivotted data it in my tables, to do some calculations/measures etc with it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.